Bricoletta Automatic brewhead problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Transpo

#1: Post by Transpo »

Looking for some information on a brewhead problem I created somehow.
Recently got a 2005 Bricoletta Automatic that had been sitting for awhile and don't know that it ever got cleaned. Hooked it up and all appeared to be working, heated up, steam and hot water worked (slowly anyway) and water came out of the brew head when I hit the button.
Then I took the mushroom out to gauge the scaling and do some cleaning (some scale, not as bad as I was expecting) and now I cant get any water through the brewhead. All the "jets" are clear and the pump comes on but after 5 or 10 seconds it shuts down and starts beeping.
Most of the information I can find here is on the Bricoletta Lever machine and the differences in the brewheads are obvious.
I did not remove the valve, or nut on the side of the brewhead where the lever would go, maybe thats my problem.
Do I need to prime it or something? Tried everything
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Zircote

#2: Post by Zircote »

Transpo,
Is the machine a plumbed in model?

Transpo (original poster)

#3: Post by Transpo (original poster) »

Yes it is.
Been messing with on and off all day.
Water path from the tank to the brewhead seem fine, no scaling to speak of.
Have taken off hot water tube, steam tube, and both tubes to the brewhead so I could clean it and all looked great.
Thanks for you interest and I'm as stumped as ever, much different machine than my Gaggia Classic.
Tom

Zircote

#4: Post by Zircote »

Tom
Since you have checked all of the potential scale locations
I would suggest that is not the problem.
There is not that much between the water supply and the brew head.
Try verifying water at each point in the system.
Does the pump fill the boiler when you drain water from the hot water spout?
If so then that set of connections in the water chain are working.
Take the filter and cap off the top of the brew head, turn on the pump for a second. Any water?
If no try one more step toward the pump.
It could be a solenoid is not opening or closing properly. It might be stuck and needs a little persuasion to remind it to return to its normal position.
I am betting on a solenoid.

#5: Post by Transpo (original poster) »

Yea, I'm still trying to figure out the various water paths through this machine.
I'm not sure about what happens with just the filter out of the brew head, but ii do know that with the mushroom out water flows through with just the house water pressure.
I guess the solenoid at the bottom of the brew head controls the "brew" water?
Also the led on the volumetric valve is on solid, not really sure what this means but I think I read somewhere that it blinks as water flows through it.
Pump fills tank fine after opening the hot water valve and letting water run out of it.
Could OPV valve be part of the problem?
Thanks again for your suggestions and comments, I really appreciate it.
Tom

#6: Post by Transpo (original poster) »

John,
Finally had a chance to check water flow through the screen/filter on top of the brew head and yes it does.
Turned water off then took out the screen out and when I turned the water back on the water flowed freely, and when I turned the pump on it not only poured out but also shot 4 streams a couple feet in the air, also I did not get the beeping or flashing lights after 4 or 5 seconds when the pump ran this way, a good sign I think. Not sure what the beeping is telling me but at least it wasn't doing it.
I assume that this is what I was hoping for?
My next step was to take the tank off so I could get to the OPV and volumetric valve but it now it looks like they are fine, at least not blocked up.
I also took the solenoid apart on the bottom of the brew head, first time for this, took it off before but not apart. All looked fine, nothing was plugged up and not any scaling or anything to speak of. I'm not sure how this works but I pretty sure that it's involved in the brew cycle and pressure.
Going to see if theirs a way to test this solenoid and get a better idea about how the water flows during the brew cycle.
Thanks again for your comments.
Tom

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

I'm not sure how this works but I pretty sure that it's involved in the brew cycle and pressure.
You're correct . . . it is intimately involved. Shut the water supply off and slide the solenoid coil off. Unscrew the "cylinder" and check for any coffee sludge build up. Take some pics and post same.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

Also see this thread: Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale - Page 2.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#9: Post by Transpo (original poster) »

Will do guys.
Thanks

#10: Post by Transpo (original poster) »

Pictures. Not perfect but pretty clean I think.