Brew pressure adjustment Expobar Brewtus IV

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dbandas

#1: Post by dbandas »

I wanted to improve the taste of my shots, so I began looking at brew pressure.

I have typically used 18 grams of espresso to yield 30 grams output in 25 seconds. I adjusted the pressure with a blind portafilter up to 10 bars, but when I am brewing the shot, it rarely exceeds 6 bars of pressure. I've noticed after the shot, it creeps up much higher, but not during the shot.

I was also told a rule of thumb is 2 ounces in 25 seconds. With my current grind and tamp, I am close to that, also.

I'm not sure I can adjust the pressure upwards much more. Should I attempt to increase it so that the pressure during the pull is closer to 8 or 9 bars?

Thanks!
David

jonr

#2: Post by jonr »

I like 8-9 bars during the initial part of brewing.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by emradguy »

It seems very odd to me that you're getting 10 bars with a blind pf in place, but not even approaching 8 when pulling a shot. I think you're going to need someone more knowledgeable than me to help you fix that. I mean, even if you had the water gushing through the puck, you should still be getting at least 8 bars during the shot. Question though...when you've got the blind pf on and activate the pump, does it shoot up to 10 bars rapidly, or is there a delay?
LMWDP #748

dbandas (original poster)

#4: Post by dbandas (original poster) »

Thanks. There is a delay. I watched the WLL video on changing my own pump and was discouraged....don't really want to spend a day doing that. Then I watched their pump pressure diagnosis video and mine failed miserably, so I'm going to ship it in for a pump replacement, tune-up and whatever else it needs after 4 years of service or so.

David B.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Does your machine have a vibratory or rotary pump? What video did you watch that offered diagnostic advice? You can ship it for repairs if you prefer, but if you're modestly handy and exercise good judgement (e.g., unplug it before removing the back), repairing it yourself isn't difficult.
Dan Kehn

petr0x

#6: Post by petr0x »

The pressure and flow are connected. If you reach 10 bar with blind portafilter = no flow, you cannot reach 10 bar, when there is water pouring out of puck. It must be (physics is physics) lower.
I think you will have to adjust it little bit tighter (11 bar) and also adjust little fine grind to get the results you want.
Or adjust the overpressure valve on the coffee directly, not with the blind filter. But you should do it at one time, because the grind can change over time.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

petr0x wrote:The pressure and flow are connected.
That's true for vibratory pumps, but not entirely true for rotary pumps. Assuming the pressure gauge tee is between the pump and gicleur, it will register the pump's setpoint for a rotary pump (e.g., 9 bar), even if the portafilter isn't locked in. This is because a rotary pump can easily generate brew-level pressure at espresso flow rates. On the other hand, vibratory pumps are dramatically affected by flow rate because they can barely generate brew-level pressure at espresso flow rates.

I still don't get it: Why adjust the OPV? explains this in detail, including the comparison chart below:

From Flow rate of a rotary pump espresso machine
Dan Kehn