Breville Dual Boiler 50/60Hz?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
xyplex

#1: Post by xyplex »

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing the Breville Dual Boiler (U.S. version), but since I might move to Europe after some time, I would like to know whether the machine would work with a step down (220v->110v) transformer, e.g. a 2000 or 3000 watt box.

I emailed Breville asking whether the machine works on both 50 and 60Hz, but I did not get a clear answer. Any ideas?

Best
Andreas

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

Metatron

#3: Post by Metatron »

A 220 - 110 v step down transformer will work ok provided it is sufficient wattage. I would use a minimum of 2000 watts and make sure it is of good quality. You want a transformer rather than a solid state voltage converter. These will not be cheap nor are they small. The 50-60 hz should be no problem.

A much bigger concern is that Breville does not sell the BDB in Europe so you would likely have to send it to USA for service. As the BDB is not very user serviceable, this will be a major pain. You will be totally outside of their dealer/service network and will probably be very much on your own. Also, in the event that Breville started selling/servicing BDB's in Europe, yours would be an odd duck being a 110 V machine. Parts would not be readily locally available even to Breville.

I have a BDB and find it to be excellent but I would not consider taking it outside of their user service area. I would sell and buy a machine with service in the area I was moving to that runs on the local power.

xyplex (original poster)

#4: Post by xyplex (original poster) »

Good point about the BDB not being sold and serviced in Europe. Maybe the best option is to sell and buy a machine that runs on local power.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

For what it's worth, I lived overseas for a few years and stocked up on transformers before leaving the US. The transformers were convenient for some light duty appliances (e.g., stereo equipment), but not worth the trouble for power-hungry appliances with resistive elements or motors. If you do go this route, consider buying transformers in-country; I found an expat exchange where those leaving the country would sell stuff like this for next to nothing.
Dan Kehn

Pio

#6: Post by Pio »

The Breville seems to be sold as "Gastroback 42636 Design Espresso Advanced Control" in Europe.

Best regards,

Pio

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by uscfroadie »

HB wrote:For what it's worth, I lived overseas for a few years and stocked up on transformers before leaving the US. The transformers were convenient for some light duty appliances (e.g., stereo equipment), but not worth the trouble for power-hungry appliances with resistive elements or motors. If you do go this route, consider buying transformers in-country; I found an expat exchange where those leaving the country would sell stuff like this for next to nothing.
Very true. And if you are military, the housing office gives you a few to start. I personally gave away all of mine when I was leaving Germany.
Merle

wasabipeas

#8: Post by wasabipeas »

Pio wrote:The Breville seems to be sold as "Gastroback 42636 Design Espresso Advanced Control" in Europe.

Best regards,

Pio
Cool! I didn't know Breville rebadges their machines as "Gastroback" for Europe: http://www.gastroback.cz/en/products/de ... ntrol.html

Pio

#9: Post by Pio »

In Switzerland they get relabeled by Solis. (They don't seem to have the dual boiler yet, tho).

http://www.solis.ch/presseinfo/presseinfo.htm
http://www.solis.ch/pdf4/programm/Solis ... kueche.pdf

Pio

xyplex (original poster)

#10: Post by xyplex (original poster) »

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up ordering a 220v Isomac Tea II + Macap MC4, which both have a dealer/service network in my location in Europe. I'm hiring an electrician to wire up a 220V line in my U.S. kitchen.