Breville BES870XL - default brewing temperature?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
escape

#1: Post by escape »

Does anyone happen to know what the default brewing temperature is supposed to be on this machine?

The owner's manual explains how to adjust it up or down, but does not mention what the base/default temp is, unless I missed it.

Thanks!

slipchuck

#2: Post by slipchuck »

I believe that if you unplug the unit for a while it will go back to default temp which I think is 200 F

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

lancealot

#3: Post by lancealot »

I had this machine and looked for this answer. I think I read somewhere that it is 200. I think there is a video produced by a successful retailer in say, Seattle, that claims 200 but the person who often stars in those videos has been off on details more than once so I take it with a grain of salt.

After more research, I decided to disregard any concern or claims regarding the set temperature. I think there are a lot of variables regarding the actual temperature of the water that gets to the puck. 3 big variables are 1) inability to get an answer to this question 2) manufacturing inconsistencies that may or may not be more likely in this machine than others 3) other stuff I am not smart enough to be able to articulate.

Here's what I did when I had the machine:
- Start with temperature in the middle setting.
- Figure out the dose and output I wanted for the coffee.
- Change the grind or dose to effect pull time. (the steps in the grinder are pretty big so changing from say a 6 to a 5 on the grinder would change my pull time by like 5 seconds or more some times, so I found that if I wanted to increase pull time by like 3 seconds, I would just updose by a gram or so.)
- Then, finally, move the temps up or down from the middle setpoint until I found the flavor in the cup I wanted.

It was easy to waste a bunch of coffee doing this and end up with a numb palate. So I would usually save the last step for a second session, when my palate was fresh. Other people might do other things.

This is what worked for me on this machine. I also upgraded it after 4 or 6 months. Good luck.

escape (original poster)

#4: Post by escape (original poster) »

lancealot wrote: - Then, finally, move the temps up or down from the middle setpoint until I found the flavor in the cup I wanted.
Thanks. Before I go waste a lot of beans experimenting, are there some general rules of thumb regarding how higher/lower temperature affects flavor? And does it vary by the type of roast (med/dark, etc.)?

clyq

#5: Post by clyq »

You can reset the machine to factory default settings. To do so:
[*]Power down the machine but keep it plugged in
[*]Hold the single shot button down
[*]While holding the single shot button, press the power button

edit:
As for the temp affecting taste, generally higher temps mean more bitter flavors, lower temps means more sour flavors.

escape (original poster)

#6: Post by escape (original poster) »

clyq wrote:You can reset the machine to factory default settings. To do so:
[*]Power down the machine but keep it plugged in
[*]Hold the single shot button down
[*]While holding the single shot button, press the power button
Thanks. I know how to reset. My question was: what is the actual default temperature?

escape (original poster)

#7: Post by escape (original poster) »

Thanks everyone. Breville confirmed that the thermo-coil heating element is specced to 200 F.