Boiler heater element life PID vs. pressurestat?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Kristi

#1: Post by Kristi »

Here's an off the wall question.

A pressurestat would cycle less than fifty times for a single brew for me (power up, wait a half hour, brew, shut down).

A PID would cycle probably close to a thousand times for the same thing.

Both are simple on/off switches as far as the heater element is concerned.

Isn't a PID tearing up the element?

Any way to soften the blow of an on/off cycle?

tia
Kristi :?
Kris

snoboy

#2: Post by snoboy »

Kristi-

I know I have read the opposite in fact, that higher frequency PID control is easier on the heating element in the long term. Can't remember the reference right now, but I know that it was somebody who I thought sounded legit, a heating engineer or something like that.

Oh, here we go, here's a quick find via Google:
The most effective way to minimize heater element temperature cycling, and the most expensive solution, is to use solid state relays (SSRs) and SCR power controllers coupled to PID temperature controllers. This combination provides the best performance for both your thermal system as well as for the heater itself. Solid state switching devices cycle power to the heater very rapidly (from one second with a SSR, down to milliseconds with phase-angle fired SCRs). This fast-power cycling dramatically reduces heater element wire temperature excursions and substantially extends heater life.
[bold mine]

From a Watlow.com page...

Kristi (original poster)

#3: Post by Kristi (original poster) »

Thanks.

From that same page, right in front of it:
Tip 6: Prevent excessive heater cycling wrote: Excessive temperature cycling is very detrimental to the life of a heater. The most detrimental is the cycle rate that allows full expansion and contraction of the heater resistance wire at a high rate (30 to 60 seconds' power ON and power OFF). This causes severe stress and oxidation of the resistance wires inside a heater. A bad temperature cycle is typically found when thermostats are used. Thermostats respond slowly to temperature changes and have large switch ON/OFF temperature differentials. An improvement, but a somewhat more expensive solution, is to use ON/OFF or PID controllers with mechanical relays. It is crucial to not switch the frequency or cycle time too rapidly (somewhere between 3 to 10 seconds), because the relay contacts can wear out quickly.
With a PID, it cycles on and off for less than a second, every few seconds, modulated by the parameters and the distance from the target temp. In other words, the attempt to have little variance of the boiler temp results in much on/off switching.

confused!
Kristi
Kris

snoboy

#4: Post by snoboy »

I think the bit you quoted is talking about the need to keep the switching frequency down for the sake of the mechanical relay. In our case, most of us are using SSR in combo with the PID.

A thermostat allows the heater to fully heat and cool in each cycle, which stresses it the most.

Kristi (original poster)

#5: Post by Kristi (original poster) »

Yeah, and it seems to stress that a long 30-60sec heating on time or off time is bad because it allows big changes in the element, whereas the little changes due to a PID are probably negligible.

Thanks.
Kris

AndyS

#6: Post by AndyS replying to Kristi »

A watlow guy once told me that a one second cycle time was almost as good as pure analog control when it came to extending heater life.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

Kristi (original poster)

#7: Post by Kristi (original poster) replying to AndyS »

Interesting. So I guess one would use a PID to extend heater life...

I hear pressurestats give out after a year or 2. I wonder how long before an element controlled by a pressurestat would give out. Course if the pressurestat gives out then you have a good excuse to get a Sirai........
Kristi
Kris

CRCasey

#8: Post by CRCasey »

Bringing a thread from the dead...

One other big advantage of the electronic switching is that they are designed to go on at the zero crossing point of the AC cycle. Mostly this comes down to no large current surges, and lower thermal shock loads.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244