Blind basket/disc for 49mm portafilter. DIY suggestions?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by dumpshot »

I have an '81 Livietta with the 49mm group. Any suggestions on how to create or buy a blind basket for back flushing? I have only been able to find 58mm baskets and basket inserts. Cerini's sells a 54mm for the new Maximatics.

Thanks in advance. I have been looking for others' answers to this and haven't found anything.

Pete
LMWDP #484

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Cut some high temp sheet rubber to seal the bottom of your filter basket. Easy peasy!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

spiffy

#3: Post by spiffy »

If you can't source a high temp rubber sheet, something like this would work too: https://www.espressoparts.com/backflush ... ind-filter

It's made for 58mm, but you should be able to easily cut it down to size. I prefer these since I'm lazy and you can backflush without having to remove the basket.

dumpshot (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by dumpshot (original poster) »

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the feedback. As a lever guy, I thought would be something more complicated. I will get 'er going. The espresso parts disc looks good and is cheap.

Pete
LMWDP #484

Marcelnl

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

drgary wrote:Cut some high temp sheet rubber to seal the bottom of your filter basket. Easy peasy!
Tried some freezer bag plastic last week for a gaggia classic that had not been backflushed for months, think that any reasonably temp resistant sof material will do, even low temp resistant rubber.
The freer bag plastic did not work brilliantly, as it became a bit soft and I cut the circle too large in my haste, but the machine unclogged.
LMWDP #483

LaDan

#6: Post by LaDan »

Aluminum foil in, around, and above your basket?