Bitter chalky taste from steam on Izzo Alex Duetto

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kboom1

#1: Post by kboom1 »

I'm getting a funky dry bitter chalky taste with my steam. machine is new so I'm not sure whats causing it. flushed the boiler quite a few times but still the same. water from brew boiler taste fine. I'm using softened water from a commercial system and dont get no off taste from it but my first couple of pulls tasted very weak and watery. I also tried running a gallon of ro water with a pinch of baking soda but still taste the same. I wonder if my boiler wasn't cleaned out after welding and I'm tasting the flux? I also pulled the water level sensor out and it was clean so I dont think it's scale.

kize

#2: Post by kize »

I cant imagine the factory leaving a bunch of junk in your boiler that would cause a funky taste. They usually test machine before shipping and there is some left-over water in it. I would flush and run several rounds of regular water through it. And I would not add anything to the water until you find the source of the funky taste- you might just be compounding to the issue. Are you plumbed in or using the tank ??

kboom1 (original poster)

#3: Post by kboom1 (original poster) »

I'm plumbed in right now. I was using a flojet but decided to buy a commercial softening system off chris coffee and direct plumb. This started right out of the box before it was hooked up to the softener. was using ro water when testing.I can see a film floating on top the water from both boilers.If I completely drain the steam boiler and refill a few times film goes away and taste clears up some.but if I leave it set for a while film+ nasty taste comes back.brew boiler had the same film and taste this morning. not sure how to completely drain the brew boiler,will probably have to siphon it out some how.

kize

#4: Post by kize »

Did you run plenty of water through your softening system before hooking up the machine ? I have heard of softener/new filter material leaching from new systems out of the box. I'd pull your machine off. Then sample your water from your system- is it clear ? Same Funny smell ? - I'd put it in a pan and check it- let it sit. Then check for same issues- including boiling it and checking for smell. Ill bet your issue is coming from your new " softening system". The boilers are pain to drain. I'd take the vacuum breaker off and siphon it out on the steam boiler. Similar on the brew boiler - whatever is easier. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck

kboom1 (original poster)

#5: Post by kboom1 (original poster) »

this developed befor hooking the softening system up. like right from the first time I used the machine I was using a 5 gal bottle of ro water and a pinch of baking soda to bring up the ph. The softener works great I put a tap in my line before the machine so I could test on ocasion. water runs clear and taste great from tap.

kize

#6: Post by kize »

Hmm. Rules the softening system out. I would recommend flush, flush and flush.