A bit of a Mypressi Twist V2 malfunction

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Duh bear

#1: Post by Duh bear »

Hey there!

I love my Mypressi. I combine it with my Pharos and a Bellman steamer and it works wonderfully. However, I've run into a bit of trouble with my Twist V2. I grind my beans, preheat the water bowl, check the shot counter, and pull the trigger. Bam, gas releases, the shot comes out and there it is in all its crema-filled glory. However, the problem is that while I'm pulling the shot there is a significant amount of colorless water that is detouring from the basket and is dripping through the metal ring that holds the basket and the water bowl. My first instinct was that there was a bad o-ring or some coffee grounds stuck somewhere that was allowing the water to come through the shower screen and escape from there. To combat this, all I thought to do is disassemble it, wash it over a couple times, and replace all of the o-rings in an attempt to salvage it. Unfortunately, since this has started the taste of my espresso has declined and none of my efforts have had an effect. Does anybody have any idea what is happening or how I can fix it? Let me know if you need any more information. I just want to make more coffee.

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

The plastic piece that holds the shower head to the bowl just blew apart on my V2 last week in use while camping in the wilds of Utah. Ivy at mypressi was able to ship me two new (now red in color instead of black FWTW) to Denver where I'm staying for a few days to get it back working properly ( ~$20). Works great once again.

So inspect the shower head surround/retainer for cracks. Replace the o-rings as necessary and lube all the o-rings with Dow 111 or equivalent.

BTW: I also use a Pharos and Bellman along with the V2 for my travel espresso/Capp fix...
No Espresso = Depresso

Advertisement
weebit_nutty

#3: Post by weebit_nutty »

From your description, it sounds like you just need new o-rings..they've compressed and no longer hold a good seal.

The o-rings actually hold their shape after prolonged periods of compression, so I recommend you leave the unit disassembled with the o-rings loosened on the plastic shower screen. The next time you use them they should provide a better seal.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

BuckleyT

#4: Post by BuckleyT »

This is a well known problem among Mypressi users.
I just mailed a spare ring to a Mypressi user in Canada yesterday, as a matter of fact.
It appears to be the weakest link in the 'design chain' of the Mypressi. If one pops out the metal shower screen and looks carefully in the cove (angle) of the recess that the metal fits into, it is most likely one will see a circumferential crack working along the angle. For me, five failures were circumferential along the recess while one crack went radial, out to the little handle tab. It is a dissection of the polymer that makes of the ring of the showerhead and no amount of bonding will repair it. If you have an unused pod-style showerhead that comes standard with the Mypressi kit you can swap out the pod screen for the standard screen on the polymer ring, since the polymer rings are identical parts. Then send a request for help using both the Mypressi site help function and send a copy to Ivy at support@mypressi.zendesk.com - there seem to be multiple mailboxes and some are answered more quickly than others. You can always ask just to receive the plastic ring part instead of the entire showerhead unit if you want to pay a little less, but that will be between you and Ivy.
The spare plastic rings have come with the outside o-ring and the rubber flap valve installed. I have just pressed on the metal screen with its o-ring and was good to go. The o-rings are more durable than the rigid plastic ring. I have gone through six shower rings and changed the o-rings once.
I do not know if the plastic replacement rings will have the o-ring and flap valve in the future. Mypressi has been having some supplier problems, which is why the web site sometimes has 'Out of Stock'. Stephen, the owner, has moved the company from the U.S. to his native Australia. Why, I have not asked, but my uncharitable suspicion has something to do with the U.S. government. Supply problems may also delay the answer to your emails. It may require a little patience.
In case you are wondering, they are not in a position to redesign the shower ring at present, as frustrating as that is for us.
B

weebit_nutty

#5: Post by weebit_nutty »

Very interesting.. Buckley, how many shots did you suppose you made before the plastic failed each time?

vberch

#6: Post by vberch »

I went through like 12 of those shower head plastic pieces in the last three years of using it at work. Once it blew up in my hand while pulling a shot and burnt my hand. Not fun!

weebit_nutty

#7: Post by weebit_nutty »

I'm guessing your description is that you had the plastic crack and the water shot out the side, which you're describing as "blowing up", right?

Because can't see how a the plastic disc can "blow up" into your hand if it is physically SANDWICHED in this manner. First of all, you have this thick metal frame which the a SS steel basket sits on, with no possible way of passing through it (not without extreme amounts of force, a mere 9 bar or 50 bar for that matter won't do that) Then above the basket is an o-ring and steel dispersion disc that has the same outer diameter as the basket lip, so there's no way that can go anywhere either. And then above the plastic is the thick metal water chamber that locks into the lower frame.

Advertisement
spressomon

#8: Post by spressomon »

The new replacement shower screen holder is slightly different shape...and red in color. The one way "rubber" valve also seems more substantial. I guess I can consider myself lucky, at least concerning this particular component ;), as mine was the original holder with well over 500 shots before it blew last week. And yes: Although I wasn't scalded it made me jump :D

Interesting intel about Stephen moving back to AU.

Dow 111 on the o-rings especially the two that seal the bowl will enhance the durability and lifespan of same;and the lube helps eliminate gas blow by too...
No Espresso = Depresso

vberch

#9: Post by vberch »

Scott, I am not sure what you are saying here. The disks keep separating every few months. I am probably using MyPressi more than most. I have been using mine for one to two shots a day at work for the last three years until I retired my MyPressi after the last incident when the disk separated again and hot water sprayed on my face, my shirt and all over my hand.

That was the last drop, literally :).

canuckcoffeeguy

#10: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

BuckleyT wrote:This is a well known problem among Mypressi users.
I just mailed a spare ring to a Mypressi user in Canada yesterday, as a matter of fact.
It appears to be the weakest link in the 'design chain' of the Mypressi.
A big thank you to BuckleyT for coming to the rescue! I am the said Canadian beneficiary of his unsolicited generosity. He offered to send his spare after hearing I'd fallen victim, like so many before, to the dreaded showerscreen of death. This is not an urban myth. It's real and it strikes without warning. Most notably, and with such impeccable timing, when you're about to pull a shot for the Sultan of Brunei. It turns your magic espresso maker into a waterpik, reducing you to a weeping, decaffeinated child with night terrors. The fetal position becomes your default and you just cry -- but like in Aliens, no one can hear you scream.

It's a shame, because the Twist really can make excellent shots (with a proper espresso grinder, of course, and good puck preparation). It appears to be a design flaw that needs to be addressed, but hasn't, as BuckleyT mentioned. In the meantime, as I wait for the spare to arrive, I'm getting by with my Brikka and french press. But I miss my shots. I've also gotten through, finally, to mypressi support. I ordered some extra showerheads as backup, as I head down an inexorable path to the next leaking, waterpik of doom. At least I'll be prepared when disaster strikes again!

In the meantime, I'm still plotting my revenge: a shiny, chrome, fire breathing E-61 to take up space on my counter and look good doing so. Once I have enough money to pony up.

A final shout out to BuckleyT for his help. Another example of the collegiality shown by Home barista members.