Bezzera Verticale restoration: start of the journey, input much appreciated!

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Siphonist

#1: Post by Siphonist »

Hi there! Few months ago I was lucky to acquire a Bezzera Verticale (a.k.a. Eagle Dome, see picture) which came to me in need-to-repair condition and which I've been cleaning, descaling and generally checking for what needs to be changed and what can be repaired. Since it seems to be a fairly uncommon machine in home use (at least it isn't mentioned much in the various forums I visit), I wanted to share some thoughts of restoring the device while also asking for your input on modifying/updating it during the process. I have made a posting along similar lines (but not the same precise content) in Coffeeforums UK, in case you wonder there are two Siphonists around with the same gear...

Picture: The Eagle has landed (sorry about the slight blur in the image)

Picture 2: Disassebled state, first mild descaling of the boiler. I will be posting some details of the disassembly process as well, just as soon as I get the pics organised.

My plan is to not only restore the original functioning but to also include some mods to perhaps enhance the capabilities. Most of these ideas I have adopted from the numerous thought-provoking posts here at H-B, with some tweaks of my own thrown in as well. Thanks a million to all of you, I'm not sure whether I would've even dared to embark upon this journey if it wasn't for the wealth of information you all have generously shared in this forum!

To set the background, the device is a manual one (PM model in Bezzera terminology) and only has the basic functionality of on/off in terms of shot initiation and timing. For me this is actually a very nice thing, since it allows for modifying the controls externally without having to tinker with proprietary electronics :mrgreen: . Also makes the modding a whole lot more cost effective, which I very much like. So far I've spent about 1.2 keur in total, including all the necessary spare parts (even a new fluid-o-tec rotoflow pump and an RPM motor) and components. In my book this is quite a nice bargain for a device like this :). On a side note to this I have to mention that the seller knew what she was selling and for what price, so we both were very happy with the transaction.

Similar to my post at CFUK, I'd like to first present the ideas I have for the mods when I start building the machine back up again. If you think there's something important missing or on the other hand something that is useless, I'd very much appreciate your views and comments. This is what I have in mind:

1. Improved shot control with programmable relay for line-pressure preinfusion, shot timing and line-pressure "post-infusion". Separate switches for full-manual control of the same parameters.
2. Manual control of line pressure with a separate regulator upstream of the machine
3. Individual temperature gauges for the two group heads. I don't plan to install any PID temp controls at this stage, I'll first check how well the HX works in its native pressurestat-controlled state.
4. Different size gicleurs for the groups, one with the standard 1.0 mm and the other with 0.7 mm
5. Integrated shot timer

What do you think, are these worthwhile additions to the machine or only a needless complication?

I already have the layout and contents of the electronics/control box rather much figured out, but haven't yet started on the actual making, so there's still a good chance to alter the plans. One thing I'm pondering is whether to also separate the pump and heater power circuits to allow for better flexibility in terms of splitting the current draw (the heater is rated at 3 kW and would be quite enough on its own for a single 16A fuse in a domestic setting...). Being an ex-experimental physicist has its benefits in having been used to tinkering with equipment of various kind, but the drawback of not always being able to discern what is actually relevant :lol: .

Thanks for the patience in reading through this rather lengthy posting. All of your input and suggestions are most welcome indeed!
LMWDP #513
...Is there life without caffeine...?