Bezzera Strega - Pump Problem? - Help Appreciated!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
vespid

#1: Post by vespid »

My Strega has been having issues off and on with filling the group to an adequate level/pressure in a reasonable amount of time. It started having issues a few weeks ago, but it would only last for a day or two and then go back to normal. Now, for the past week I have been unable to get a proper pull from it. Let me describe the problem a little better:

When it is behaving normally, the pump will quiet down after 10-12 seconds and the shot will start. Now, if I try to release the handle after 10-12 seconds (without the shot starting), the handle will go almost completely back to the neutral position. I gather that this indicates that the group is not nearly full and the pressure is low. It takes over 20 seconds to get the group water level/pressure high enough to start the shot. At this point the pump quiets, the shot starts flowing regularly, and the same resulting ~2oz is produced. Oh, and the OPV does not appear to be leaking.

Another strange thing happened when I turned on the machine this morning. The pump turns on and it is much more quiet than usual. After about 30-45 seconds it returns to its regularly loud state. Overall, the pump stayed on for well over a minute. I've never timed it before, but I would think that it is usually on for 10-20 seconds when the machine is initially switched on.

Has anyone experienced these problems? Any ideas on what could be causing it; perhaps the pump is bad? Any help would be appreciated.

I plan on taking the case off to check for leaks. Is there anything else I should be looking for or testing?

I suppose that I will need to build a p/f pressure rig in order to ascertain the exact pressure that the pump is pushing out. I'll start searching here for info on the parts required to build one and where to purchase them. But if you know of a link off-hand, feel free to post it.

Thanks!

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Your pump is moving less water than it should. Are you seeing a lot of water leaking into the drip tray through the OPV drain (the little tube center bottom)? In that case tighten the OPV, it has come loose. Otherwise, put a measuring cup under the group with no PF, bring down the lever and run the pump for 15 seconds, then let the lever up (carefully!). There should be at least 8 ounces, and usually between 10 to 12 in the cup. If you have less, the pump needs to be replaced.
Jim Schulman

vespid (original poster)

#3: Post by vespid (original poster) »

Thanks Jim. I'm not seeing any leakage out of the OPV into the drip tray. I'll take the 15s measurement. Thanks for the baseline to compare against :)

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

There should be at least 8 ounces, and usually between 10 to 12 in the cup. If you have less, the pump needs to be replaced.
I would think about half of that would be more like it.

Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

another_jim wrote:There should be at least 8 ounces, and usually between 10 to 12 in the cup. If you have less, the pump needs to be replaced.
Really? That sounds like twice the flow per minute that you would get with a rotary pump. I just checked my Strega & I'm seeing just under 4.5 oz (125ml) in 15 seconds repeatedly. 500ml per minute is good for a rotary pump machine depending on group jet size.

I see Eric beat me to it!!!! :lol:
LMWDP 267

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Another possibility however remote - pull the reservoir and fill it about half full with ordinary tap water. Hold it over the sink and gently depress the valve from underneath using a 1/16" wooden dowel or an equivalent. Water should flow like Niagara Falls :) into the sink. While you're there, do an inspection of the filter screen installaed in the tank bottom.
Skål,

Eric S.

vespid (original poster)

#7: Post by vespid (original poster) »

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate all your help :D

Quick update, I ran all proposed tests thus far:

Unfortunately, I am only seeing 2.5oz in 15s at the group.

I pulled the reservoir and the flow doesn't seem very fast. I ran the same 15s test and I am only getting 4oz while depressing the valve. The filter seems fine. I even unscrewed it from the brass fitting and tested it again and got the same 4oz.

Could the reservoir valve be the culprit? Is it something common that I could pick up at the local hardware store? Or should I contact Jim @ 1st-line as it is still under warranty (I've only had it for a few months).

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

Um, this is the paleolithic test: no PF, 0 to 1 bar pressure, roughly 150 mL expected.
Jim Schulman

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

I agree that running the reservoir valve test is messy and a little tricky from a capture standpoint. I just tried same on a similar reservoir valve. These parts are not available from your local hardware store. When you contact 1st-line, also reference this thread as your flow is a tad less than half of what it should be.

A "more better" way to conduct the pump flow test would be to simply pull the lever all the way down (preferably with a cold machine) and let the pump run until flow is fully established. Now simply slide the pyrex cup under the group for 30 seconds and record the amount. In your case, this should be around 5 ounces whereas if all was well, this would be ~ 11 ounces in 30 seconds.

From your initial description, it "sounds" like an intermittently failing diode (if that is at all possible) in the pump which is not serviceable. One of our resident electrical experts may comment on that possibility.
Skål,

Eric S.

vespid (original poster)

#10: Post by vespid (original poster) »

The initial pump flow test was done with a hot machine.

I just did the better pump flow test with a cold machine as your described. I am only getting 2oz in 30s! :shock:

So, you think the reservoir valve might be ok, but the pump is definitely shot?