Bezzera Strega - first machine start up procedure

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MarkG

#1: Post by MarkG »

Just received my new Strega.
Instruction for "First machine start up or after a prolonged inactivity (about 7 days)" says
1) Turn on
2) Wait for 12 hrs
3) and 4) draining and then repeat steps from 2 to 4 - i.e. wait again for another 12 hrs.
I wonder what is the reason for such a long cleaning procedure? Is it really necessary to wait and drain for 24 hrs before having the first cup?

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

I didn't when I got mine; and I do not recall such an instruction. If I had to guess, I'd say its about fixing stinky uncured plastic -- that is, in espresso machines, the tank, which starts smelling of solvent when heated up. I would suggest removing the tank, pouring in near boiling water and seeing of it does stink of solvent. If not, just go ahead an use it.
Jim Schulman

Carl S

#3: Post by Carl S »

You've probably poured over the "Owners' Experiences" thread while considering a Strega. I ordered the necessary T-Connector and tubing to do the "Vacuum Relief Valve Drain Line Modification" before first running the machine. This simple mod, well documented in the forum, will keep water out of the inside of your machine. I also dissembled the pump to make sure the seals were well lubricated but there weren't globs of grease as early purchasers sometimes reported. I was happy to find all was well.

There is a "store bought" bottomless portafilter available for the Strega now. It was a big help in learning tamping and I still use it exclusively for shots since the Strega makes such pretty espresso.

Enjoy your new machine!