Bezzera BZ10 - First Impressions

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Bezman
Supporter ❤

#1: Post by Bezman »

Today I received the Bezzera BZ10 to replace my Nuova Simonelli Oscar.

I've made exactly three shots with it before having to leave for work, but I can already say that it is much more consistent than the Oscar.
It took about 1/2 of the time to heat up to a consistent temperature (about 15-20 mins, compared to 30-40 for the Oscar).

The OPV is set to 12 bar, which seems a bit too high to me, although I did not notice any channeling. Boiler is set to about 1.2 bar.

The water flow from the group is much more uniform, the temperature stability during the shot is better too.
Taste-wise, the three shots I made without trying too hard were close to the best I could do with the Oscar. In hindsight, I should have bought the Bezzera in the first place as the price difference compared to the Oscar is not very large.

Construction-wise, it is much nicer than the oscar, although to my taste the Oscar had some advantages in this area.
The smallish drip-tray is an annoyance, and the steel body is in fact a disadvantage. Makes each part of the machine much heavier and much more prone to smudges and scratches.

I will post some pictures and videos when I back from work.

EDIT: a picture of the setup.

algue

#2: Post by algue »

I think that the short time to heat up to a consistent temperature is the real advantage of this machine.
Otherwise I think that an E61 group could have some advantages in terms of flexibility.
For example I miss the possibility of being able to adjust the pre-infusion.
alberto

Bezman (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Bezman (original poster) »

Actually, buying a "Dragon" type HX machine was a huge consideration in favor of getting the BZ10 (or 7, or 13).
I would hate having a flushing ritual that is more complicated than "flush-n-go".

Bezman (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by Bezman (original poster) »

algue wrote:I think that the short time to heat up to a consistent temperature is the real advantage of this machine.
Otherwise I think that an E61 group could have some advantages in terms of flexibility.
For example I miss the possibility of being able to adjust the pre-infusion.
alberto
From your message I understand that you own (or have owned) the BZ10.
What is the simplest way to access the pressurestat and the OPV? If I remove the two hex screws at the top of the machine, will it come off, or are there any other screws I need to remove?

algue

#5: Post by algue »

yes, I own it
and use it every morning with satisfaction
I think it's the best for the morning rush
to remove the cover I need to remove four screws on the bottom
then, facing the machine, opv is on the right side while pstat is on the rear left.
I enlarged one of the holes on the top and now I'm able to access the pstat from outside with a long screwdriver.
No tricks for OPV

Bezman (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by Bezman (original poster) »

What brew pressure do you use?

Do you have any idea why Bezzera set their machines to 12 bar? I tried grinding coarser until the gauge showed just over 9 while brewing, I had a very fast flowing shot - not drinkable.

Iskanda

#7: Post by Iskanda »

Bezman wrote:What is the simplest way to access the pressurestat and the OPV? If I remove the two hex screws at the top of the machine, will it come off, or are there any other screws I need to remove?
You have to remove the case (screws at the bottom). To the right side you have the OVP.

If I remember right, turn it ~1,5 times this direction:

Iskanda

#8: Post by Iskanda »

Bezman wrote:Do you have any idea why Bezzera set their machines to 12 bar? I tried grinding coarser until the gauge showed just over 9 while brewing, I had a very fast flowing shot - not drinkable.
They think that 12bar is the right value for vibration pumps (while rotation pumps should have 9 bar). There also an explanation by Mr. Bezzera about the flowrate but - as to me - the explanation is strange. I don't understand it.

I can imagine that the reason is, that the OVPs starting to leak between 8-10 bar.

Bezman (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Bezman (original poster) replying to Iskanda »

Why would the OPV leak? On my NS Oscar, I liked setting the OPV to about 10-11 bar blind. Any lower and it would make an annoying sound. If I set the OPV to 9 bar blind, it would start affecting the taste and crema.
12 seems high any way you look at it.

Iskanda

#10: Post by Iskanda »

All valves are a bit different. Finally all starting to leak if you turn long enough. Be careful. :)

And you are right: they are whistling.