Bestcup Water Filter Test Strip

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
trappist

#1: Post by trappist »

Just got a Vivaldi II Mini and it came with a bestcup water filter installed. It also has what I would assume is a hardness test strip included but I cannot make sense of the test results from my strip! The bestcup manual that was included has a color chart on the back that is easy enough to read but the directions inside to interpret the color don't make sense. They seem to take volume into account, which makes me wonder what exactly this test strip is testing (maybe not hardness). Has anyone used a bestcup test strip who could explain reading it to me?

-Thomas

skydragondave

#2: Post by skydragondave »

Hi Thomas,
Based on what users have explained to me, the drop-count titration method is more accurate, and easier to read. So rather than using test strips, you would use solution bottles and add one drop at a time until you see a colour change. API brand test kits are available in the US on Amazon for very little money. I've since bought the Total Hardness (GH) carbonate hardness (KH) and high range pH kits and they're easy to use and interpret. Good luck
LMWDP #433

Advertisement
MDL

#3: Post by MDL »

I can't comment on the Bestcup strip. However, I have used a number of hardness test strips and the ones that I like are:

Hach SofCheck strips.

They have a very clear and distinct color change that gives you a clear idea of the hardness.

No strip is really quantitative but I feel that they give me a clear read of how well my softener is doing.

JmanEspresso

#4: Post by JmanEspresso »

Hach brand kits were suggested to me when I went water crazy.

I also went to the local pool/spa/hottop supply store and got some strips which test for PH, Alkalinity and then a couple other things I didnt need. Chlorine levels maybe..

IF you want to go down the path of insanity, by all means, do it. I dove DEEP into water trying to get the best results I could. I am so glad I currently am not interested in repeating that process.

For simplicity, by a zero water pitcher, which comes with a free TDS meter. Done.