Best technique for descaling an HX espresso machine?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
coffeedude55

#1: Post by coffeedude55 »

To descale an HX machine you need to soak the entire boiler with descaling solution for several hours, but the boiler is designed to be only partially filled with water. I have seen two ways to overcome this; tilt, and overfill.

I checked out two videos, with two very different techniques. In the first video they purged the descaling solution from the water wand and HX, and let the descaler sit at a 45 deg tilt in the boiler, in all four directions, for a 8 hrs (2hrs per side?), then flushed with fresh water. In the second video, they removed the level probe connector, overfilled the boiler with descaler till it came out of the water & steam wands, let the descaling solution hang out for 1-2hrs, purged descaler from the HX, then flushed with fresh water. Also, I heard the connector needs to be grounded, but this was not done in the second video?

Any ideas on the easiest, best, or safest way to descale an HX machine? Tilt vs overfill, or are there other ways? Also, does a horizontal or vertical boiler position make a difference in the technique to be used? I noticed in both videos they descaled a horizontal boiler, but my Expobar Office Lever has a vertical boiler position.

mikekarr

#2: Post by mikekarr »

I've used the overfill method successfully on an Expobar Office Control, which is very similar internally to yours. I also removed the water screen and steam tip during flushing to purge an particles. Last, I removed the water probe and cleaned it thoroughly, as it also had some buildup.
LMWDP #235

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

What I have done is fill the boiler with the descaler until the pump stops, then tilt the machine as far as I can until the pump starts again. This then fills the boiler slightly more, getting the solution slightly higher than normal, and above the scale line.
Scott
LMWDP #248

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Why not do this first? Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale

You need to know the quality of the water you are feeding this machine first and treat it accordingly.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

post meridiem

#5: Post by post meridiem »

For what it's worth, I've mostly used a lazier descaling process, with no noticeable ill effects thus far. I insert a water line into a tub of descaling solution, open the tap to let water out of the boiler, and let the pump fill the boiler to its normal level. Wait a few hours, repeat with the line back in fresh water.

This is on a fairly low-volume machine; average water hardness. My guess is that there's either not a lot of water line buildup, or that the force of the pump moving descaling solution into the boiler creates some splash, which gets at some of the water line without tilting (or that the steam on top of the water line contains some solution, enough to take care of it?). Either way, so far (about 4 years into owning the machine), I haven't had any issues with it.

I have once done the more involved process you describe (trick the boiler into overfilling). If you go that route, and you've never done it before: make sure to remove the steam tip! I didn't, and even with the steam wand open, the tip created enough resistance to trip the pressure relief valve. Messy.

coffeedude55 (original poster)

#6: Post by coffeedude55 (original poster) »

mikekarr wrote:I've used the overfill method successfully on an Expobar Office Control, which is very similar internally to yours.
This seems like the most complete descale method, but a little tricky as you have to open up the machine and deal with electrical connectors, and possible water mess. Thanks for the info!
sweaner wrote:What I have done is fill the boiler with the descaler until the pump stops, then tilt the machine as far as I can until the pump starts again. This then fills the boiler slightly more, getting the solution slightly higher than normal, and above the scale line.
Another good method. Seems a little less tricky than the overfill method, just wondering if it descales boiler as completely as the overfill method? I guess if most of the scale is right at the water line this method should work. Thanks!
erics wrote:Why not do this first? Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale
Good idea. I didn't know I could do this. I did check this link out. It makes sense to base the descaling on E61 condition. Thanks for the link!
post meridiem wrote:I have once done the more involved process you describe (trick the boiler into overfilling). If you go that route, and you've never done it before: make sure to remove the steam tip! I didn't, and even with the steam wand open, the tip created enough resistance to trip the pressure relief valve. Messy.
Good tip. I will remember this. Thanks!