Balanced bypass valve for rotary pump: worth the upgrade?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thomgonzales

#1: Post by thomgonzales »

I have a couple of year's old Rocket Giotto Professional with a rotary pump. The rotary has the unbalanced bypass valve, so I can affect the machine's pressure via the pressure gage attached to the filter system downstream. Rocket has "upgraded" the Giotto's rotary pump to be balanced rather than unbalanced. It would therefore be adjustable at the machine rather than downstream. Please know, my machine operates perfectly, so this is more of academic question than anything.

The cost of changing out the valve is inconsequential (around $8 plus shipping) but requires, obviously, a bit of surgery. In the opinion of those more knowledgeable, is it worth the effort? Rocket's engineers say the "upgrade" was simply based on a logistics and economies of scale--buy only one rotary for Giotto Professionals and Giottos Evos, which makes sense to me.

Thoughts.

Marshall

#2: Post by Marshall »

thomgonzales wrote:Please know, my machine operates perfectly, so this is more of academic question than anything.
You've answered your own question!
Marshall
Los Angeles

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

thomgonzales wrote:In the opinion of those more knowledgeable, is it worth the effort?
No, I wouldn't bother. If the inlet pressure was unstable, I'd address that instead of relying on a bypass valve (e.g., by adding a pressure regulator or accumulator).
Dan Kehn