Badly Scaled Gaggia Classic

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Degull

#1: Post by Degull »

Hi everyone. My brother gave me his Gaggia Classic which he was having problems with. Instead of getting it fixed he bought a new automatic machine. I asked him often he descaled it and he looked at me funny. The machine has never been descaled after 5 yrs of use. I've done a bunch reading and it looks like I'm going to have to completely disassemble the machine and clean it. This doesn't scare me.

The problem with the machine is that it barely pushes any water through the group head when there is espresso in the portafilter. I've cleaned the group head screen and I have adjust the OPV valve to specs I found somewhere (100 ml water 30 sec). It doesn't matter how much I increase the pressure to the group head, the espresso barely pours out. The pump seems to working fine.

Since the machine has never been descaled, I figure I should start there. Can anyone tell me what parts I have to remove and descale? Should I order any parts for the tear down (seals)?

Thanks!!

randytsuch

#2: Post by randytsuch »

Hi
If it was mine, I would just take it apart, and clean everything, and then see if you still have a problem.

Check out this link
https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... ines/21622

and this one
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gaggia/message/1788

The yahoo group also has exploded views and wiring diagrams for the gaggia's.

I recommend joining the gaggia group if you are going to be using the classic.

Most gaggia's are similar, the classic had a three way valve, and adjustable opv, where some of the other's don't have one or the other, or both.

I just overhauled my classic, opened and cleaned everything, it's not that hard, but I still have to test it again, make sure everything still works.

Just make sure you label all the wires/hose, and take a bunch of pics before you start, and as you dissassemble, will make it much easier to put it back together after you clean it.

If you're not in a hurry, you can take it apart, and check out the gaskets, and see if you need new ones. My classic was pretty old, but the gaskets seem to be OK. There are a couple places on the net where you can buy them, including espressoparts.

I am adding a PID and preheater to my classic, hope to have it ready in a couple of weeks.

Randy

Degull (original poster)

#3: Post by Degull (original poster) »

I just took it apart and it wasn't that hard at all. It is pretty badly scaled. Going to try and source some descaler around town. Thanks for the reply.

By the way where did you get your preheater from? I plan on adding the the pid and preheater as well. Thanks.

mindless_fool

#4: Post by mindless_fool »

Degull wrote:Going to try and source some descaler around town.
In Toronto ive gone here http://www.zuccariniltd.com/ for everything to cleaning to syrups and parts. they had the group head gasket and burrs for my grinder in stock, no ordering.

Degull (original poster)

#5: Post by Degull (original poster) »

I know the place, I've been there before. Thanks!

randytsuch

#6: Post by randytsuch »

Degull wrote: By the way where did you get your preheater from? I plan on adding the the pid and preheater as well. Thanks.
I'm trying something different. I bought a little aluminum watertight box, I'm adding a couple pieces of al inside to make dividers in the box, and I'm going to strap it to the flat section on the front of the boiler.

Randy

Degull (original poster)

#7: Post by Degull (original poster) »

I bought some citric acid and mixed 50 ml in a liter of water. I've let the group head, opv and 3 way valve (all taken apart) soak for a day now. It doesn't appear that the citric acid is doing anything? The scale on the copper and brass bits look exactly the same. Should I add more citric acid or get a different solution?