Bad quick-release thingy. (teflon pipe)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
North

#1: Post by North »

Hi.

I had to replace my 3-way plastic thingy with a metal one from Chriss coffe. At the same time I cleaned the tubing and stuff.

After putting it all together its leaking from the quick-release connector. (snap on connector)
Its a teflon pipe coming into the end of it.

I took the teflon pipe out and it was a little brown and crumbly so I cut it to get a clean edge but its still leaking!!

What do you do about this, is there a cure, or is there a better version I can buy that seals better?

North (original poster)

#2: Post by North (original poster) »

looking inside it with a penflashlight there is no rubber that I first thought but just metal "claws". This seems really bad.

I wonder if I can just wrap some vvs tube-teip around the pipe and shove it in and get a seal?

Carneiro

#3: Post by Carneiro »

I like the push-on that was used on old Gaggias and other machines, like this:

http://www.sistemp.com/products/fittings-pushon.html

But there are the compressing fittings availble too, the one you use a olive around the tube, but you'll probably need BSP thread and metric tube diameter (I guess it's 6mm external).

North (original poster)

#4: Post by North (original poster) »

So where can I get hold of a compression one?

I tried pipe-tape but it was too slippery so I tried electric-tape and it worked better.
But the problem is thats its not actually leaking from the pipe but from inside the thing.

I dont get this at all, I havent been doing anuthing to this part at all, it just got rocked abit when working with the other parts.

Carneiro

#5: Post by Carneiro »

I imagine you can look first at pneumatic fittings company there in Norway. Most of the fittings available are instant fittings like this you have, but I think you can find others.

North (original poster)

#6: Post by North (original poster) »

Its hard to find this here.

But I made some progress. I took it apart and there is actually a small o-gasket inside and it looks like it have been pushed down. I imagine that putting it in the right place will give me a good seal but I will try and find a new gasket first to make it as perfect as I can. The gasket should be easier to find.

Will post when and if there is coffee produced :mrgreen:

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

It looks very much like a JG fitting (John Guest). There would be an O-ring inside that the pipe slips through for the seal, so the fit, material, and size of the O-ring is critical. The end of the pipe that pushes in needs to be clean, smooth, and have no burrs that might damage the O-ring as it passes into the fitting. Also, there should be limited forces that might create side pressure on the tube against the fitting.

This cut-away of a JG fitting shows the O-ring at "5". The "teeth" that hold the pipe in the fitting are at "4" The tubing is pushed all the way past the O-ring then pulled out a bit which pulls out the collet "6" to compress the jaws of the fitting against the pipe.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

North (original poster)

#8: Post by North (original poster) »

The pipe actually slips into a not parallell "corridor" (like this / \ ) that give a little and its made up of metal "claws" and the o-ring sits on the outside of theese "claws". Somehow the o-ring had popped of the outside of the claws and were just lying underneath/beside them. I dont get how this happened, but Im sure it will work out as soon as I get another o-ring. Otherwise Im having another part sent to me from Italy and I will get a new fitting at the same time, they are only 2 euro. Have to use the Aeropress in the meantime, am gonna enjoy some Honduras tomorrow :)

North (original poster)

#9: Post by North (original poster) »

Aha. So the o-ring is supposed to be at the bottom. Then I guess the problem must have been that the pipe didnt go all the way through.

It is a little short, and I will also get a new pipe from Italy so one way or the other its gonna work out, but I have to try it again when I find a new ring.

How in earth am I supposed to know if the pipe goes through the ring?

North (original poster)

#10: Post by North (original poster) »

In your picture it looks easier because the pipe has gone through the ring a long way, but im really unsure if this is the case with mine. It looks like the pipe cannot go past the ring and into the other side because its very narrow in there. If mine looks exactly like that then I have to really push the pipe through with alot of force.