Backflushing too late? and questions etc.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
EspressoGirl

#1: Post by EspressoGirl »

I have a Gaggia Classic and have used it from 4-6 months (some lag time as I waited for grinder and gave up in between).

I just learned about backflushing and the machine has a 3-way solenoid valve. They say you should backflush about 1x week with Joe Glo for instance.
1)After waiting this long, can it be that it is "too late" for backflushing now and that I will never get the valve clean at this point?

2)Also, how safe is it to backflush (the manufacturer says DON'T) even though I have heard here why it is important.

3)Is there any advantage to a backflush filter vs. a disc and in the discs any preference for the stainless steel vs. rubber?

4)What do people consider the best instructions they have seen for this process?--I am so scared of doing it wrong and damaging my machine...

Thanks.

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

1) Better to start doing it late than never. If your three-way valve is still working at this point, you're probably OK.

2) It's safe to backflush any machine with a three-way valve. In fact, it should be mandatory, otherwise the vavle will eventually clog and fail. Not sure why manufacturers sometimes recommend against it, other than a general mistrust of the intelligence of their customers.

3) I don't think there's a real advantage to using a blind filter rather than a disc. Just whatever happens to be more convenient to you.

4) Check out Randy's website, espressomyespresso.com. He has a good tutorial on backflushing there.

http://espressomyespresso.com/

However, the basic process is very simple. Insert blind filter or disc into PF. Place a small scoop of backflush detergent into the filter. Lock in. Pull a blank shot. When the machine comes to full pressure, turn off the brew button. The detergent should purge into the drip tray through the three-way valve. Repeat the process four or five times. Now rinse the detergent out of the blind filter and repeat the backflush procedure with water only for another five times. That's about it. Oh, and most people recommend pulling a "garbage shot" after you're done, to season the group and get rid of any excess detergent.
Lock and load!

cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

1. Better late than never. Accumulated crud will come off with subsequent cleanings

2. If the machine has a 3-way, it's safe.

3. A SS blind insert uses less water than a rubber disk. Also impervious to cleaner.

4. Add 2ml Cafiza to basket.
Now :
- Lightly insert PF so water leaks over. Wiggle PF back and forth a couple of times, then lock. Wait for pump to load, then stop pump. Let machine sit for 30s. Release pressure.
- Repeat 5x.
- Rinse PF & group with clear water
- Lightly insert PF so water leaks over. Wiggle PF back and forth a couple of times, then lock. Wait for pump to load, then stop pump. Let machine sit for 30s. Release pressure.
- Repeat 5x.

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

Beezer wrote:2) It's safe to backflush any machine with a three-way valve. In fact, it should be mandatory, otherwise the valve will eventually clog and fail. Not sure why manufacturers sometimes recommend against it, other than a general mistrust of the intelligence of their customers.
I said that once and was corrected- there were some machines that had the 3-way in an odd (non-standard) location that made backflushing ineffective. I can't remember the details, but something about it being some sort of pressure relief that was before the brewhead instead of after, if that makes sense..
...and thanks for the plug! :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

EspressoGirl (original poster)

#5: Post by EspressoGirl (original poster) »

Ok--I dont' know when 2 things are happening:

1)"wait for pump to load"--does that mean for boiler to be full? If so, on the Gaggia Classic all I know is you fill the boiler by running water through the grouphead and/or the steam wand (I am not even sure how long you have to do this).So what does it mean for pump to load and how would I know when this has happened?

2)Someone also stated wait for pressure to build--again, I don't know how to tell that on this machine. I don't know when pressure is high or low or in between. All I know is when lights are on appropriate toggle switches, you can brew or steam or have wand spit out hot water.

Can anyone tell me what these things mean and how to tell when they are happening on this particular machine?
Thank you!

Beezer

#6: Post by Beezer »

When you flip the brew switch with coffee or a backflush disc in the portafilter, the pump will encounter resistance. The sound of the pump will change in tone and volume, going from kind of loud and buzzy to much lower and quieter. When it changes tone, the pump is under full load. This happens pretty fast on Gaggias, because they don't have any kind of built-in preinfusion.

So basically, you just start the pump, wait a few seconds to let the pump get up to full pressure, then shut off the pump again. The pressure should then be redirected out of the three-way valve and into the drip tray, which makes an audible "Pop" or "whoosh" sound. Repeat this several times with detergent in the blind filter disc, until most of the soapy suds from the detergent are gone. Then rinse out the filter and run the pump several more times with no detergent in the filter. That should rinse the excess detergent out of the group and three-way valve.

See this how-to guide for more detailed instructions.

/espresso-m ... aning.html
Lock and load!