Autofill Probe Position (height/depth) adjustment.. how to?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JavaJive

#1: Post by JavaJive »

Is there a rule of thumb.... or established rule/procedure for setting the position of
autofill probes?

My steam is very wet.... wand spits water several times a second, so the water level
inside the boiler must be to high.

Is there a concern about going to low during adjustment, and exposing the element?

Any other hints/tips/tricks would also be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

There was a recent topic that talks a bit about this, but I'm not sure it addresses your question about going too low with the sensor.

Raising boiler level sensor for steaming - Espresso Machines • Home-Barista.com
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

MDL

#3: Post by MDL »

Not directly an answer to your question, but:

If this issue is a change in behavior you might consider that the probe/boiler is scaled and therefore the probe is not functioning correctly (scale interfering with the probe sensing the water level). With my Vivaldi I know that the steam boiler water level seems to be higher (based upon wet steam/spitting) when I need to descale.

Dose your machine make a lot of noise when the water starts to boil (another signal of scale build up)?

JavaJive (original poster)

#4: Post by JavaJive (original poster) »

Thanks Chris...
Helpful knowledge, if not the complete answer...

Thanks Mark..
Good suggestion..
I should've mentioned, the machine is JUST rebuilt.
Very thoroughly cleaned the probe.
Full boiler boil-out (and all assoc. components).

I was very careful to not change the probe position, and it did the same thing exactly before the rebuild/cleaning.
Not sure why, but its old as the hills.
Doesn't seem like a probe can "wear"... but I'm at a loss as to why the level is higher than when new, given the cleaning and my not changing the probe.

kitt

#5: Post by kitt »

First thing would be to check the actual water level in the boiler is too high and the actual cause of your wet steam.Remove a fitting from the top of the boiler and check.
If it is too high, possible causes are;

- Possible ruptured or split HX pipe (bad)
- Boiler fill solenoid not closing properly due to scale etc clogging it (not so bad)

#6: Post by JavaJive (original poster) »

Thanks Kitt!

How does one know what to high IS??? :mrgreen:

kitt

#7: Post by kitt »

Mark the probe at its usual depth, remove the wire undo the clamp nut, and remove the probe.Placing it on the side of the boiler at the usual mounting height should give you a rough idea of where the water level should be.
Unplug the machine before any of this, of course

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

I assume that your probe is FULLY straight (most are). The correct probe position is such that the insulating tab over the female spade is a maximum of 1/16" from the teflon probe housing. If the insulator for the female spade contacts the teflon housing, that would be the lowest level you could achieve and, AFAIK, would still be safe and provide the least chances of water droplet carryover into the steam.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#9: Post by JavaJive (original poster) »

Probe is straight.

The tab... or the corresponding location on the probe.. are at about that now.

I wonder why it would be malfunctioning?!
Its a fairly straight forward device..
Clean as a whistle too.

Do I understand correctly that the probe itself moves independent of the smaller nut, and that holds the teflon insulator fixed?
And that thats like a lock-nut that threads into a larger nut that threads into the boiler?

Confused :?

erics
Supporter ★

#10: Post by erics »

Do I understand correctly that the probe itself moves independent of the smaller nut, and that holds the teflon insulator fixed? And that thats like a lock-nut that threads into a larger nut that threads into the boiler?
Yes. The smaller nut is what would be termed a gland nut and the teflon probe housing location is fixed.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com