Astoria SAE Junior (CMA/Laurentis/RIO) Refurbish Log - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
godlyone (original poster)

#11: Post by godlyone (original poster) »

Will do :)

But as far as the voltage/current leak... any ideas?

The chasis is grounded.. but why is there 50-60V between the kitchen sink and the machine chassis?

Stuggi

#12: Post by Stuggi »

Is the outlet you connect the machine to grounded? Is the sink grounded?
Sebastian "Stuggi" Storholm
LMWDP #136

#13: Post by godlyone (original poster) »

Well they SHOULD both be grounded.. it's a fairly new house.. but who knows how good of a job the builder did... Going to have to check that

CRCasey

#14: Post by CRCasey »

Lets narrow down the cause. If you have your MM handy is the voltage you are seeing AC or DC? 50-60V is a strange voltage level to see.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

Stuggi

#15: Post by Stuggi »

Actually it isn't, I got the same in a house that I wired up for three-phase 230VAC. If I shut of one of the phases, I could measure out 70 VAC between the dead phase and ground. Not enough to drive a load, but enough to shock you a bit. It was due to induction, and that's the same you see here. You commonly see this between ungrounded computer shells and ground as well.
LMWDP #136

EspressoExpress

#16: Post by EspressoExpress »

I just picked up my own Laurentis 2 group machine this past weekend. At first glance it looks impecable, I'll know more once I get power to it and pull my first shot. And I would like to add that I've been reading these posts for a while and now I'm glad I have a place to consult when consulting is needed. As for the manual, I have to search long and hard, unless someone knows where I may get one i would appreciate the tip.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot to add, the Astoria restoration is inspirational. Thanks for the step by step photo log.

#17: Post by godlyone (original poster) »

For everyone who was looking for them, I emailed Dan and he hosted the manuals for us:

/downloads/ ... Manual.pdf
/downloads/ ... Manual.pdf

EspressoExpress

#18: Post by EspressoExpress »

Hello godlyone,

I'm going to open up my boiler to see the condition of the inside. I like how yours came out. Good job! I was wondering how much citric acid you used vs. the water ratio. Did you eyeball it, or did you follow a specific recipe/formula? Also, how long did you let it soak?

#19: Post by godlyone (original poster) »

They say 1-2 tbsp/Liter

so I used about 6tablespoons for a large home-depot type bucket.

I kept checking on it.. at like 30 min, then again at the hour mark

I also took it out, washed it out with fresh water and then put it in again.. make sure to get in the heat exchanger too!

And another thing I learned is you REALLY need to get into every orifice.. especially the small ones inside of the solenoids!

I will update this thread with more pictures after my winter break starts (12/21) cant wait :D

Also im looking for any interesting ideas about what to do with the nasty multicolor panels

Stuggi

#20: Post by Stuggi »

Strip and paint black. :D
LMWDP #136