Astoria Perla spews water from pump relief valve

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JFW

Postby JFW » Jun 19, 2017, 5:10 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, but have enjoyed reading threads for a number of years already. Back in the 90s I was a barista at a coffee place in Oslo, but I haven't used a professional machine since (I have a Mini Moka/Mini Gaggia and now recently a Gaggia Classic at home). A few weeks ago I bought two incomplete commercial machines here in Norway (well, actually I bought three, but the shipping company lost(!) one!). One Astoria Perla from 2009 and one Wega Nova from 2006. Both seems to be in fairly good condition, except the fact that they're missing drip trays and portafilters. No rust. No indication of leaks. No indication (so far) of fried electronics. The Wega have taken a hit (fallen off a pallet?) and need some panel straightening and a paint job, but apart from that it seems ok. The Astoria seems to be fine cosmetically, but when I started to check out the machines earlier tonight - and hooked it up to water, it spewed water from the pump relief valve. This could of course be due to high water pressure from the tap, so that's the first theory. However with reduced pressure it still spews water. So guys, you're way more experience than me: What could be the reason?

Best regards, and thanks for an excellent forum!

Truls
Bicycle Framebuilder
Hølen, Norway
http://www.johnsenframeworks.com

our caffeinated commitment to you
Sponsored by Whole Latte Love - our caffeinated commitment to you
JFW

Postby JFW » Jun 19, 2017, 6:41 pm

Another extensive search might have given results: Rotary pump leak

Will check that tomorrow morning!

Truls

JFW

Postby JFW » Jun 20, 2017, 2:12 pm

Success. Replaced the o-ring in the valve and everything is ok. However I do have a leak just below the solenoid for hot water. Seems to be easy to fix (thighten), but it's near impossible to get to it without disassembling quite a bit. Is it possible to remove the solenoid on these? And to the moderator: I just realized that there is a spesific sub-forum for restorations and repairs. Feel free to move this thread.

Br,

Truls

MNate

Postby MNate » Jun 20, 2017, 2:49 pm

Aw, it's my machine's big brother! I think it's pretty nice and generally easy to fix. I don't have any advice for you on any of your issues though...

Astoria overfill [solved]
I meant to go back in and write up a few of my closing thoughts on its repair and use but haven't yet.

I never saw mine called a "Perla" but in digging around I think that is the best name for it. I failed to find a lot of great info out there on them (as to the options available when it was made or whatnot). Any info you find, please share! Hello to Norway too! I visited three years ago and really enjoyed my time (and coffee) there.

Advertisement