Astoria Divina SAE rebuild and deep cleaning [COMPLETED] - Page 6

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BKSinAZ

#51: Post by BKSinAZ »

Nice job

allon

#52: Post by allon »

miamichillin99 wrote: Only one last mishap occured when putting the panels back on. I tilted the machine on it's back in order to screw on the bottom panel. In doing so I think the red sight glass ball went into the boiler. I've tried tilting in every direction. It's not coming out. I just hope it doesn't clog anything one day.
I'm pretty sure the ball cannot make it through the fittings. I believe my CMA lever uses the same parts for the sightglass fittings; I've had the sight glass ball get stuck at the top when transporting the machine - the moisture causes the ball to stick, but eventually it dropped...try tilting the machine (when cold!) to fill the sight glass with water - the ball might drop with the water.
LMWDP #331

miamichillin99 (original poster)

#53: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

Thank you BKSinAZ

Allon
I've tried tilting it warm and cold. Forward back sideways. Every angle except upside down. But if the ball doesn't fit in the fittings maybe I'll unscrew the pipe going from the boiler to the sight glass and blow in the sight glass or stick a small wire to poke it down.

allon

#54: Post by allon »

Be careful if you decide to remove the sight glass. More than one person has accidentally broken their sight glass when tightening the nuts that connect the fittings.

Thankfully the glass itself is pretty inexpensive.

Not to discourage you, just a warning to be careful.
I have a spare if you screw up ;-)
LMWDP #331

#55: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

Thanks allon. I did it once. I hope I don't break it the second time around.

tblockley

#56: Post by tblockley »

I am "refreshing" a similar machine, an Astoria Argenta Junior.

The burning question I have concerns the clever cover on the boiler safety valve. The cover and it's base are hard plastic. The base was doing double duty as the gasket between the boiler and safety valve. When I got to it, the plastic was crumbly, and indeed came apart before I could even get the cover off.

Photo shows the cover, safety valve, original and replacement base. Is there a way to use the proper copper washer as gasket and to keep the cover assembly?

Thanks,

Ted

P.S. I also managed to crunch the sight glass!

#57: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

I had the same exact problem. General Espresso (usa.astoria.com) has the part. I ordered it with a new o-ring for under 20 bucks. The copper gasket is less than a buck. You can re-use the hose and the top cover. Also I think cafeparts has it. I chose General Espresso since I needed another part from them that only they had.

P.S. change the glass tube too. you don't want to have glass shards in your coffee do you?!?!? All 3 places should have that part, General Espresso, cafeparts and espressoparts.