Astoria Divina SAE rebuild and deep cleaning [COMPLETED] - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
miamichillin99 (original poster)

#21: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

Good news folks..I think I fixed the pump. Check out the picks. Now I don't want to wait until I finish the rebuild to test it out. My question to you all is can I hook it up to the frame again and to the power with a direct connection to water to test it out. As you all know I don't have anything on the frame right now except the electrical. I just want to be sure it won't short anything out by plugging in the machine with only the electrical and pump.

Advertisement

#22: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

Can anyone help with how to test the pump. I hooked it up to water and it just flows through the pump with the line pressure. I tried turning the autofill on by turning the power knob to #1 but the pump didn't activate. I did hear the autofill selonoid activate though. Is the pump suppose to activate on #1 or does the autofill selonoid fill the boiler with the pressure from the line? At least I'm happy to report that no leaks occured with just the line pressure.

Well meantime let me show you guys the descaling process thus far.

Before Boiler:

After Boiler:

As an FYI to those learning from this thread I used 10 tablespoons of citric acid in about 8 liters of water. Boiled it on the stove at 180F for about 2 hours and scrubbed with a steel wool pad.

erics
Supporter ★

#23: Post by erics »

Yes, the boiler fill solenoid and the pump should activate simultaneously. I believe from past reading that there exists some machines whose autofill function is via line pressure alone but that is the exception rather than the rule.

You can always disconnect the power connection to the pump (keep the capacitor wired in) and "jury rig" an extension cord and simple switch to the pump's main electrical connection. Just let the pump draw suction from a nearby bucket of water.

The threading on those hose fittings is very likely 1/2"-14 BSPP but a 1/2" US NPT will sorta fit. If the pump works, we can go from there.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#24: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

As always thanks Eric. I called Astoria and they confirmed that the pump should turn on with the auto fill. So I will try again tonight and see if it sucks water from a bucket. They also recommended I check the pump fuse.

erics
Supporter ★

#25: Post by erics »

J -

Just have the "bucket" sorta level with the pump. Yes, they are capable of a 6' or so suction lift but be kind to it at this stage :) .
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#26: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

The connector on the pump has 4 terminals. Two black wires and two red. Anyone know how to wire this to operate manually?

#27: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

Well I got the pump to work and it didn't leak. So my biggest mistake on the disassembly has been fixed. I hooked it up to a bucket and turned it on just as before, by turning the power knob to #1, which is the autofill. I guess it's so quiet that I didn't even know it was running last time I did the same thing when it was plumbed into the water line.

So for anyone needing to repair a Zecchin motor's broken fitting it's quite simple. I followed the advice from ira to only heat the fitting. I used a cheapo propane bernzomatic torch and some plumbers silver solders by Oatey(btw it's only 1% silver). Took a while to heat the fitting (about 10 mins) but once it heated and the heat transferred to the copper pipe the flux started melting and once I touched the solder to the joint it just sucked it right up.

Now onto my progress. Today I have finally finished disassembling the machine and I'm down to the frame. Tomorrow I will try and wash it with a power washer or I might use the dishwasher...an idea I got from another Astoria Restoration here on HB. I also finished descaling all the lower hydraulics and boiler pipes and fittings. I also cleaned the group head, group selenoid valve, steam and water assembly in joe glo for a few hours. Everyting looks beautiful. Now onto ordering parts! Any recommendations? Orphan Espresso, Cafe Parts, Espresso Parts?

Advertisement

#28: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

I'm happy to report that power washing the frame was a fantastic idea. It got rid of all the crud and grime. The assembly has begun now that the parts have arrived. I would like to thank Shawn at Espresso Parts and Steve at General Espresso. Without them this project would not be where it is now.

I'm actually contemplating painting the machine. I found this http://up.picr.de/3031505.jpg and fell in love. What do you all think?

Possepat

#29: Post by Possepat »

I think that colour looks sharp! I'd give it a go if I were you :D
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

#30: Post by miamichillin99 (original poster) »

Can someone recommend how to do this paint job? I called a few powder coaters and since the side panels are ABS plastic they can't do it.