Astoria cke dripping out of 3 way and expansion valve...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
johneverett

#1: Post by johneverett »

Hi all
I just took the 3 way valve out and inspected. Changed the 2 o rings and put it back together. Still drips a little. I didn't take the valve guide apart from the mounting base.... maybe there's another seal inside? Or....does it drip because the only o rings I could find (3/8" x 1/16" wall) aren't the right size? Please advise. I hope I'm not treating symptoms of a bigger problem.

Also, the expansion valve
https://www.espressoparts.com/index.php ... fgodEZoIDw
with its discharge line leading to the drip pan drips a fair bit too. I'll post pictures later if that will help.

thanks for any thoughts
john

johneverett (original poster)

#2: Post by johneverett (original poster) »

Update: Seems to be fixed
Machine stayed on all night and in the morning there was less than an oz. of water in the drip pan. That's a big change from a few nights ago when I awoke to find the drip pan on the verge of overflowing. After pulling a shot there are a few drips out the 3 way discharge but then it then it stops completely. On the other hand, the outlet tube from the expansion valve is still dripping. Seems to occasionally drip about one drop every10 to 15 minutes. I'm not sure if this is "normal?" I'm trying to determine if the expansion valve is adjustable, can have a spring replaced or if I should replace the valve???
Anyway....
Here are the 2 o rings I pulled out of the 3 way valve along with the replacement new one (3/8" x 1/16".) The new one isn't quite as thick a wall but seems to have fixed the problem (for now.) I'm keeping a closer eye on it and considering not leaving my machine on 24/7.

Here's the 3 way the 2 o rings came out of

diagram of my astoria cke

close up of the questionable expansion valve (#38)

johneverett (original poster)

#3: Post by johneverett (original poster) »

Thought I would do a quick follow up in case anyone is interested and/or can use this info in the future. I've continued to have a persistent drip from an expansion valve so I've decided to take it apart to see what's going on. Here's what I found.
fist picture: From the top moving down you see three parts....the upper most gets the tube attached that goes to the drip tray. Next is a spring and then a small cylinder with a rubber seal on the end.

here is a closeup of the cylinder with rubber seal. Note, I had a fair amount of scale build up and it may have contributed to the lack of a good seal being made. The cylinder with spring should move freely but I suspect the scale prevented this somewhat. I gently scoured the inside surface with 0000 steel wool so the walls and seat area looked clean again.

This last shot shows that the rubber seal can be pried out and flipped over to reveal a fresh surface to seat against the brass.

It's back together now and almost ready for re-starting but I'm concerned about the valve calibration. Does anyone know of a method I could use to check and adjust the valve so that it opens at 11 bars to relieve excess pressure? Otherwise, my heat exchanger could be vulnerable to cracking from too much pressure. thanks for any help.