Astoria Argenta won't stop filling

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jwsjeff

#1: Post by jwsjeff »

I have a 2 group Astoria Argenta and am having issue with the water level. After I drain some water and turn the machine on, the motor kicks in and fills the water to the appropriate level, but then it continues to fill after that. Even when I turn the machine off, the tank continues to fill. I took apart and cleaned both the manual and automatic fill valves.. not sure what else to do.

allon

#2: Post by allon »

Could be the autofill probe is scaled up, or the autofill controller is not working properly. Is this a new problem (has it worked for you in the past) or is this a new (to you) machine that you just got that has a problem?

Is the machine otherwise functioning?
Why drain and then turn on? Does it not exhibit this behavior if you don't drain it some first?
LMWDP #331

jwsjeff (original poster)

#3: Post by jwsjeff (original poster) »

I checked the autofill probe and it looked cleaned. I cleaned out the auto-fill valve and checked the solenoid, tried to blow through it and couldn't so I think it is ok. This is a new problem. I have had the machine for about three years and I leave it on all the time. The machine works great otherwise. I've just had to drain the last few days because every time I test it it overfills.

Could it be something other than the manual or automatic valve? I don't get why it would continue to fill even though the machine is off... the manual valve seems like it is working.

#out_of_ideas

allon

#4: Post by allon »

When you say it won't stop filling, you don't mean that the autofill is engaged?

Ah, I thought the autofill was staying on. Gotcha.

Probably a leaky valve, either solenoid or manual. Just because you cannot blow through it doesn't mean 60 lbs of pressure won't squeeze through. Line pressure can be pretty forceful. And a slow leak can be hard to see.

The autofill on my Astoria (CMA) has a valve that can be used to restrict the speed of the autofill, and can be shut off entirely. If your machine has this you can try cutting off the autofill and manually fill. If the machine keeps filling up, then suspect the manual fill, otherwise suspect the autofill. Then you can replace the appropriate seals, or you might need a new solenoid if you can't find the bits you need.
LMWDP #331

#5: Post by jwsjeff (original poster) »

The autofill comes on like normal, fills the tank, but then the boiler continues to fill very slowly.

I turned the machine off, turned the water on and took the outlet side of the autofill valve off to see if water would still come through it but it didn't. However, water does trickle out of the outlet side towards the autofill valve... not sure why?

I don't really know how to test to see if the manual fill valve is broken... someone told me that water is supposed to trickle through the manual fill valve even when the button on the side is not engaged - so that makes it hard to know if it is broken or not. What is the best way to test to see if the manual fill valve is broken?

Thanks for all your help :D

allon

#6: Post by allon »

If I had to guess, I'd say the manual fill valve is leaking. Off is off. Any flow when it should be off is a fail.

That someone is incorrect.

New seals should be less expensive than the shipping.
Time to buy more toys to justify the shipping cost. I mean, a new tamper would look really stylish. And who doesn't need a drawer full of baskets? Not to mention a new knock box.

Disassemble first, clean, lube with Dow 111. If the valve operates after that, you just avoided buying all that crap ;-)
LMWDP #331

#7: Post by jwsjeff (original poster) »

Thanks. Great advice. I took apart the manual fill valve, stretched out the spring, cleaned all the gaskets and put it back together... voila! no leak! It's been on for 24 hours now and the tank has remained at the same water level.

I probably buy all the gaskets for the manual fill valve JIC it breaks again, the rebuild kit is only $5.

Thanks again.