Astoria Argenta rebuild

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
chevy64

#1: Post by chevy64 »

I just purchased a used Astoria Argenta SAE / 1NJUN. This is my 1st rebuild and could use a little help. The machine is missing both the portafilter and the whole drip tray assembly. I can purchase a portafilter easily enough but have not been able to locate the drip tray assembly. Does anyone know where I can purchase 1 of these?
Beside the normal citric acid bath the parts are going to need the copper is showing some corrosion / discoloration. Does anyone have any tips on how to polish the copper panels up?
I am planning on only running this as a semiautomatic machine, not using the automatic buttons. I am thinking about adding a delay timer to preinfuse the puck. Does anyone having any tips or recommendations on how to add this and what to use?
I am also thinking about adding a temperature probe in the group head so I can see how the machine acts as I am the shot is being pulled. Any tips to doing this.
This is my 1st post but I have been a lurker on this site for several years. I know there are a lot of good rebuild posts out ther and if any of you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
My current set up is a Mazzer Super Jolley grinder, a Gaggia Coffee espresso machine and use Paradise Roaster coffee beans.
Thanks for any and all help.

kize

#2: Post by kize »

citric acid will clean solid copper up quite nice. a final polish with stuff designed for copper and you're good to go. I would not use citric acid on chrome or plated parts-- it will take the plating right off. Search the forums on rebuilds- lots of general info that you can apply to your rebuild. Parts are a hit and miss. I just completed a rancilio s20 rebuild and it worked out just fine. I make it a point not to buy a machine that is not complete with cosmetic stuff due to the difficulty of finding parts. Good luck

godlyone

#3: Post by godlyone »

This will probably be helpful as the machines are quite similar:

Astoria SAE Junior (CMA/Laurentis/RIO) Refurbish Log

I also put the temperature probe in the grouphead to monitor flushing.

If you want a delay timer on there, just put it on the wire running from the machine to the motor - whenever the motor is triggered, the solenoids will open and line pressure will flow - then whenever your timer kicks in the full pressure of the pump will be applied.

chevy64 (original poster)

#4: Post by chevy64 (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies. Any suggestions where I can get a delay timer?
The drip tray may be more tricky to find. I have had no luck so far. I may have to have 1 fabricated.
The date listed is unusual and I don't understand how to read it. It is OODASM. Does this make sense to anyone.

chevy64 (original poster)

#5: Post by chevy64 (original poster) »

Godlyone as a note mine arrived in the same condition. Unfortunately 1 of the legs got bent pretty good. Hopefully I can get it straightened back up.