Are daily tight ristretto shots bad for an espresso machine?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
EspressoFiend

#1: Post by EspressoFiend »

I have a particular fondness for a ristretto shot. Usually in the mornings, I will make a ristretto shot first of all (close to 1oz. in ~20 seconds), then a doubleshot, then make some coffee.
I feel like when I am making the ristretto my machine is having some trouble. It is a Gaggia Classic with a Rancilio Rocky. I dialed in the grind for what works on my machine, however, is nearly choking the machine on a daily basis a bad thing? I feel like it makes a really aromatic and delicious shot.

Thanks!

EBSpokane

#2: Post by EBSpokane »

EspressoFiend wrote:It is a Gaggia Classic with a Rancilio Rocky.
The Gaggia Classic has an over-pressure valve (opv) which opens to redirect any excess pressure from the pump back to the reservoir. From what I recall, these OPVs are set to 11-12 bar from the factory, as 11 bar is what the E.S.E. standard for pods are, as I recall.

Given that your machine vents excess pressure back to the water tank, I would say no, pulling daily ristrettos won't hurt your machine, as it's designed to deal with the excess pressure generated by the pump. If your machine did not have an OPV, there may be the potential for damage, but as far as my experience and expertise go, that is mere speculation.

EspressoFiend (original poster)

#3: Post by EspressoFiend (original poster) »

Thank you very much for the speedy and informed response!
Somone on here said that once you have a great ristretto shot, you will never go back to doubleshots.
I had a great ristretto from my friend at a roaster, 23 seconds and 0.8Oz of espresso, mostly crema. Was a SO Uganda pulled on a commercial rancilio. Good stuff.

Havent been able to get great ristrettos at home yet, but they are good. I think ristrettos are great for sampling SO espressos, especially the first few days in the 4-8 day post-roast sweet spot.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

EspressoFiend wrote:...is nearly choking the machine on a daily basis a bad thing?
I agree with Eric; an over-pressure valve limits the maximum pressure during low-flow conditions. For the longer answer, see The importance of brew pressure, purpose of adjusting OPV? and a few other interesting threads linked from this forum's FAQs and Favorites under Vibratory pumps.
Dan Kehn

Marshall

#5: Post by Marshall »

EspressoFiend wrote:Somone on here said that once you have a great ristretto shot, you will never go back to doubleshots.
There is a misunderstanding here. "Ristretto" refers to extracting a smaller drink than normal from a given amount of ground coffee. It can be a double OR single (or even a triple) and still be a ristretto, if the output is small.

So, 1 oz. extracted from a single-dose basket is a "normale," while 1 oz. extracted from a double-dose is a ristretto.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

Expanding on this topic a bit, there is a common misconception that ristrettos are the pinnacle of the barista's art. They are not. They are just a personal preference that some people have, a preference that is as valid as any other. It is certainly easier to pull a rich ristretto than a normale.

However, many feel the flavors are more distinctly expressed in a normale. For what it is worth, ristrettos are considered failures in barista competitions.
Marshall
Los Angeles

EspressoFiend (original poster)

#7: Post by EspressoFiend (original poster) »

Wow thanks guys!
Just when I think I learn something new...