Are Alex Duetto and Rocket portafilter interchangeable?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
irrelevancy

#1: Post by irrelevancy »

Hi there

I'm purchasing an Alex duetto, and wanted to get a bottomless portafilter to go with it. The seller only stocks rocket and rancilio bottomless filters. However, since rocket giotto seems to use an E61 group head, would it be interchangeable with the duetto?

Thanks
Sing Chee

CrayonShinchan

#2: Post by CrayonShinchan »

The notches on the Rocket bottomless portafilter seem to be offset so the handle might sit at a weird angle. I can't say for sure since I don't own one. The Rancilio bottomless will fit fine though.

EDIT: The photo below is from Seattle Coffee Gear's website and is apparently NOT accurate. Sorry. I'm still leaving it on here for reference though.

Al deHyde

#3: Post by Al deHyde »

The portafilter pictured above is NOT a Rocket portafilter. The ears of Rocket's portafilters are not offset, so the statement that they are is misinformation.

As we do not know on what basis Crayon asserts that a Rancilio portafilter fits an Alex Duetto (such as he actually uses one in his machine) I would not rush out and buy anything until you have better information.

Bob_McBob

#4: Post by Bob_McBob »

Any bottomless portafilter sold as a 58mm E61 should fit the Duetto. LM portafilters will not fit without filing. The photo CrayonShinchan posted is an apparently inaccurate photo from Seattle Coffee Gear's product page. They are the ones to blame for any misinformation about the lug alignment.

A Rancilio bottomless will fit the Duetto. And yes, I know from personal experience.

If you are looking for a bottomless portafilter, I am a fan of the generic E61 cut and rechromed model Great Infusions sells here. I prefer this style of cut because it gives a great view with a double basket.
Chris

CrayonShinchan

#5: Post by CrayonShinchan »

Sorry guys, I stand corrected. Like I said, I don't have a Rocket portafilter so I couldn't say for sure. Yes, that photo is from SCG's site. My bad for posting it though.

CrayonShinchan

#6: Post by CrayonShinchan »

Al deHyde wrote: As we do not know on what basis Crayon asserts that a Rancilio portafilter fits an Alex Duetto (such as he actually uses one in his machine) I would not rush out and buy anything until you have better information.
Geez, give me a break buddy :mrgreen:

My basis is that I own a Rancilio bottomless portafilter.

Like Bob McBob states, any E61 58mm will fit sans the LM.

genovese

#7: Post by genovese »

On my Duetto, I prefer my Rancilio PFs (bottomless and solid) to the stock ones. Not only do they fit fine, but they're heavier and the metal shoulder is slightly relieved relative to the plastic part of the handle, so I'm not burning myself when I "choke up" on the handle.

mastyl

#8: Post by mastyl »

i have a Duetto that i bought from Seattle Coffee, and they included a bottomless PF with it. This same PF is also included with Rockets they sell. Hope that helps
Thanks

Marios

blueface

#9: Post by blueface »

Like what Bob said, any bottomless 58mm portafilter will locked onto the grouphead. I've a Rancilio bottomless that fit well onto my VBM.

TomC
Team HB

#10: Post by TomC »

Bob_McBob wrote:Any bottomless portafilter sold as a 58mm E61 should fit the Duetto. LM portafilters will not fit without filing.
Chris this statement is incorrect. I've used a LM portafilter since day one with my Duetto. I only use the stock portafilters to use the blind basket for backflushing.

A La Marzocco bottomless portafilter doesn't lock in dead center at 6 o' clock, but sits at about 7.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/