Anyone know about LA SCALA Butterfly

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
VIC1628

#1: Post by VIC1628 »

Hi guys,

I am new here and I need some of your idea and experience about espresso machine that I am looking for.

Firstly I am looking for Rancilio Ms Silvia for my home use and practicing my latte art. But I wonder that LA SCALA Butterfly Espresso Machine is it suitable to do latte art? Which one is better? Here is the photo for LA SCALA :D

Please advise ... Thanks a lot !

Vic

Worldman

#2: Post by Worldman »

Hello Vic & WELCOME to HB forums!

I have no experience with the La Scala Butterfly and do have quite a bit with Silvia as it is my son-in-law's machine. Silvia is most certainly a nice machine but would seem to be way out-classed by the Butterfly. The La Scala is a heat exchanger (HX) machine with a 2.5l boiler with 1250W heating element, E61 (GH). While I have no experience with it, it almost certainly will allow you to produce both better espresso AND micro-foam for making latte art. This compares to Silvia's single boiler (no HX) design with a 0.36l boiler with 1100W heating element and non-E61 GH.

The only consideration for Silvia over La Scala would be price constraints. However, if you can afford it, go for La Scala.

Len

VIC1628 (original poster)

#3: Post by VIC1628 (original poster) »

Hi Len ,

Thanks for your reply. I think I really need to check out the price for La Scala and compare with Silvia.

I just worried about Silvia make problem while we need to wait the heating time and some noise while make espresso ( I survey from others forum).

Anyway I think you are right, I really need to check the price that I affordable :oops:

Thank you ,
Vic
:wink:

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

VIC1628 wrote:Firstly I am looking for Rancilio Ms Silvia for my home use and practicing my latte art.
Additional food for thought:

If you wish to practice latte art, then a single boiler like Silvia is a non-starter. While Silvia certainly can steam well (albeit a little wet), the wait time between brew and steam temperatures will quickly grow old. Any capable HX machine would be a better fit. Affordability is certainly important, but judging from what you've said, you would upgrade in record time. Many former Silvia owners upgraded in less than two years; less than a year isn't unheard of. Fortunately the resale value of Silvia is very good...
Dan Kehn

#5: Post by VIC1628 (original poster) »

HB, Thanks a lot ... you message help me a lot. Now I know Silvia is single boiler and HX machine is better for practising my latte art :wink:

zin1953

#6: Post by zin1953 »

For more info on the La Scala Butterfly, click here.
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

#7: Post by VIC1628 (original poster) »

I already check with the dealer in my area and they will sell the La Scala Butterfly together with the La Scala Junior grinder by 1 package.

Do you guys think this is a good grinder ? As we know grinder also play important part to make good espresso :wink:

jesawdy

#8: Post by jesawdy »

VIC1628 wrote:I already check with the dealer in my area and they will sell the La Scala Butterfly together with the La Scala Junior grinder by 1 package.
Grinder looks a little bit similar to some Faema grinders I have seen (but not used) anf it has some slight similarities to the Quickmill grinder that Chris' Coffee carries now. (the Quickmill is metal bodied and stepless though). It would appear to be in the Gaggia MDF, Rancilio Rocky, Cunill Tranquillo, size and category grinder with it's 50mm burrs. With nothing other than specs to base my opinion on, I'd dock it a few points from the Rocky based on build materials and weight.

I saw the grinder here: http://www.espressomachines-it.com/maci ... ori_4.html

It is probably adequate, but depending what your vendor offers, you may wish to see if you can upgrade... From what appears to be the La Scala site at http://www.espressomachines-it.com/caff ... liano.html, they sell Macap grinders as La Scala, the MX or the M5 on that web page would be awesome upgrades.

-Jeff
Jeff Sawdy

#9: Post by VIC1628 (original poster) »

Hi guys, I am posting question again :lol: Need your help :oops:

Some of the dealer in my area also recommend me Grimac Mia compare with La Scala Butterfly. What do you think ? Which is better perfomance machine? Both are also HX m/c now.

Hoping you guys may help me again ..... Thanks a lot.

rgd,
VIC

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Have you read The Grimac Mia - A Pro's Perspective? Chris thought it was a solid espresso machine. (I've read good things about the Butterfly too, but I've never used it.)
Dan Kehn