Any reason to install Eric's thermometer in a double boiler?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thecatch83

#1: Post by thecatch83 »

Would this serve any purpose at all?

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

Less so, but it would still provide some reassurance to some. I can't recall off the top of my head how many DB machines are on the market that aren't PID'd, but I know the original version of the Duetto was. Machines like it, with a pstat are still going to wander a bit in temp. Eric's thermometer is an affordable data point.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

Would this serve any purpose at all?
My suggestion would be to run a controlled test. By all means, stick with the same dose, grind, etc., etc.

Brew some espresso at temperature "X". Now change "X" by, say, 3.0 degrees F and give the machine 30 minutes to acclimate itself for a 3.0 degree change. Do you notice a difference?

The thermometer also tells you when something is amiss with the machine. For example, on Mon - Wed, all is well and the thermometer is reading "X" after a one hour warm-up. On Thursday, it reads 10 or so degrees less. Time to post the problem to HB and break out the wrenches.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

thecatch83 (original poster)

#4: Post by thecatch83 (original poster) »

Good insight....thanks guys!

RyanJE

#5: Post by RyanJE replying to thecatch83 »

I got one for my PID single boiler, some people might think that's odd. However, here's why I have no regrets...

1. It helped me figure out my PID offset from factory was 10F low! After much hassling and asking Eric questions.... :)
2. It lets me know when my idle temp is stable, warmed and ready to go...
3. It would let me know if something was drastically off..
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

I find it very handy when doing a walk-up flush after the machine has been idling for some time, and as a diagnostic tool.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

turtle

#7: Post by turtle »

the "cool factor" would be the primary reason.

secondary would be to double check temp (boiler temp then at the head temp).

None are great reasons but there is no negative reason not to
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

Randy G.

#8: Post by Randy G. »

turtle wrote:.. None are great reasons but there is no negative reason not to
I can't speak for all machines, and none other than those I have owned, but in my experience the flush-after-idle time can vary widely depending on how long the machine has been on and unused, ambient air temps, machine design, etc. Unless you habitually flush then toss the first pull, that would seem to be a a very good use of the group thermometer. "Great" would be in the eye of the beholder. :wink:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

zimberto

#9: Post by zimberto »

Don't do it. I own a DB and I wouldn't add one. First of all, I think they look cheap/horrible and would definitely detract from the appearance of my machine. Second, while they may give a better indication of brewing temperature than a probe in the boiler, they don't read the temperature of the water at the coffee grinds... and that's where it matters. For this, you can buy a cheap digital thermometer with wired probe and via one a couple of options you can read the temperature in the middle of the grinds while pulling a shot. For practical reasons you won't be able to do this all the time, but an occasional check will let you know how things really are in the group. That would seem to be a better use of your time and money without spoiling the look of the machine.

turtle

#10: Post by turtle »

Randy G. wrote:I can't speak for all machines, and none other than those I have owned, but in my experience the flush-after-idle time can vary widely depending on how long the machine has been on and unused, ambient air temps, machine design, etc. Unless you habitually flush then toss the first pull, that would seem to be a a very good use of the group thermometer. "Great" would be in the eye of the beholder. :wink:
I was under the impression (maybe mistaken impression) that dual boiler machines did not super heat the brew water like HX machines do?

I MUST flush prior to every pull with my Pasquini if I wait more than 3 minutes between pulls. I did not think this was necessary with a dual boiler machine as the brew water temp was epitomized for brewing and the steam water temp was optimized for steaming?

Out of curiosity, does the brew water temp on a dual boiler machine float that much that you "must" flush before pulling a shot?

I've never owned nor even contemplated a dual boiler machine, always opting for an HX and flushing the steam before pulling. Live with the devil you know rather than getting a new devil to learn all about has always been my motto
Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee