Any Ideas for Insulating the Steam Wand?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mgwolf »

Looking for any good ideas for insulating my Vivaldi S1 steam wand. It's not annoying enough to spring for the "no-burn" version. I got ahold of some silicone tubing which works about as well (or poorly) as the original black rubber sleeve. I was thinking of boring out a wine cork -- not very aesthetic, though. Anyone found something more elegant for insulating steam wands that works well? Michael

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

What's wrong with just using the original rubber sleeve? It works just fine for me.
Lock and load!

Theodore

#3: Post by Theodore »

There are some black plastic corks.Try one,if you can open a hole in it.Also,some self shrinking "spaghetti s"?
Espresso uber alles.

mgwolf (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mgwolf (original poster) »

The black rubber one that came with it got quite hot. What are self-shrinking "spaghettis"?

drdna

#5: Post by drdna »

Michael,

Did you try that salt mixture I suggested?

About the steam wand, you need something that will hold up to high temperatures without getting warm to the touch -- a good insulator. PTFE (Teflon) would be a good choice. They sell this in sheets and various shapes in professional cooking supply stores. You can also get some small Teflon balls and drill a hole in them, just to try it out. Simple, easy, and elegant. You can also get a roll of plumber's tape (Made of PTFE) and roll it onto the wand in a thick layer. Less elegant, but easy enough to try. And both options are about a buck.
Adrian

gyro

#6: Post by gyro »

Was the silicone tubing you tried on the outside or the inside of the wand? The ECM I use to have appeared to just have some silicone tubing up the inside of the wand and it worked extremely well. I have been considering trying this on my new machine. Somehow I actually managed to burn my FACE on it :evil: ...! (don't ask!)

sweaner

#7: Post by sweaner replying to gyro »

That is the "No Burn" steam wand. Works well. I have burned my hands, of course, but never my face!
Scott
LMWDP #248

mgwolf (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by mgwolf (original poster) »

The silicone tubing was on the outside of the tube and was may 2-3 mm thick. It may withstand heat well, but it also conducts it well. Michael

mgwolf (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by mgwolf (original poster) »

Did you try that salt mixture I suggested?
Adrian,
I just found it now, so I'll have to shop for some black salt this week. What kind of Calcium magnesium do you use -- there's lots of varieties of Cal-Mag capsules/tablets? Michael