Americanos and Rancilio Silvia Temperature Recovery Time

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jwwbrennan

#1: Post by jwwbrennan »

What volume should a Silvia V3 that has just completed a heating cycle put through an empty portafilter before cycle starts again? (I have measured this one at ~160 ml.)

What temperature range at the basket can be expected during a full heat cycle? At the end of the cycle does the temperature drop quickly or gradually?

I read the temperature variation can be 20F but that leaves me uncertain of the temperature curve if the heating cycle starts before the lowest temperature or the effect caused by varying volume through the basket while heating.

I ask as occasionally someone will ask for a caffè crema or American coffee and I would prefer not to introduce a second coffee machine or stand over the Silvia waiting to finish a large cup.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

jwwbrennan wrote:I ask as occasionally someone will ask for a caffè crema or American coffee and I would prefer not to introduce a second coffee machine or stand over the Silvia waiting to finish a large cup.
Generally speaking, small boiler espresso machines will need around 3 minutes to recover from an espresso + sufficient water for an Americano. If you need to make back-to-back drinks, I recommend using a hot pot to heat the water for Americanos. If you fill the (cold) cup prior to starting the grind/dose/pull sequence, the water will be at about the right serving temperature.
Dan Kehn

jwwbrennan (original poster)

#3: Post by jwwbrennan (original poster) »

Thanks for your quick reply Dan.

I'll need to think about it again. I have no idea how to make a caffè crema with hot water. The only method I know is to put 180+ ml through 14+ grams of coffee with an espresso machine.

I put a little french roast in the espresso blend, maybe I'll put some of that through a French press as an alternative. It will be more like the national chain coffee people prefer.

Thanks again,
Jim