Ambiente Espresso Vesuvius Pressure Profiling

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
brettpavia

#1: Post by brettpavia »

Was just wondering if anybody here is actually using this machine, Ambiente Espresso Vesuvius Pressure Profiling?

As far as I know, this is one of the few single group espresso machines that has the ability to electronically pressure profile the pull. The Slayer single group can also electronically pressure profile, with the forthcoming Rocket Espresso R 60V. However the La Marzocco and Synesso single group machines can only manually pressure profile.

If anybody is using the Vesuvius, what has your experience been like?
Coffee fuels my passion for community, creativity, and social responsibility.

Mrboots2u

#2: Post by Mrboots2u replying to brettpavia »

No all the machines mentioned do the same thing in the same way , and again with the r60 it looks like it has a rotary pump , so how it will pressure profile , dunno ...it may not have the same tech in it that a Vesuvius uses to pressure profile the way it does
The Slayer works with different tech compared to vesuvius ( it uses 9 bar with a need valve restricting flow at pre brew )
The gs3 mods i have seen are for instance not programmable - the single group Strada probably will be ...

Anyway I have a vesuvius and i enjoy its PP features - its consistency and it the fact i can program profiles in and repeat them .
It does what it is meant to ... You can fiddle for ages with various profiles - i have mine set to a couple of different ones that i use ..
I have used a few different ones in my time ..
I think you need Dave Corbey to come on and explain why and how it may be different to other machines ( including it would seem to the soon to be released El Rocio - which i am sure will get mentioned here too )

brettpavia (original poster)

#3: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

I should have stated it "electronic programable", as only the Slayer, Rocket R 60v, and Vesuvius can do that, the others are manual profiling only. However the Mod Bar can be a single group and it does programmable pressure profiling.

Mrboots2u

#4: Post by Mrboots2u »

I would do some reading up on the slayer . I don't think it works in the way you imagine it to .
It doesn't have programmable steps like the other machines mentioned . It brands itself as flow profiling - no pressure profiling .
Again jury's is out on the rocket until someone gets there hands on it . Looks like it is running a rotary pump - how the pressure is managed I don't know .
I am guessing it won't run like the Vesuvius on a gear pump and pid system .

#5: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

From what I understand the Slayer single group is a programable pressure profiling machine, but I could have read it wrong.

While I love the Rocket Espresso company, I am not sure how it will stack up against the Vesuvius. In the end, for home use I think I will get the Vesuvius, but I wait to see what people say about the Rocket R 60V before I buy anything.

That Korean machine looked cool, but not practical for those living in North America.

Mrboots2u

#6: Post by Mrboots2u replying to brettpavia »

Slayer works on what it calls " pre brewing " you cant tell it to do 5 seconds at 2 bar 7 seconds at 9 bar etc

Im not saying one is better than the other - the two machines work in different ways
If you have any specific question you would like to ask drop me a pm

#7: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

I would actually like to know more about how each of the machines achieve their version of pressure profiling, as I do not really know at the moment.

However, I do not known that some are pressure profiling manual only, no chance to program in and repeat results. Others can be programmed for repeating the pressure profiled pull.

The LM Strada EP allows for both manual and programmed .... The Mod Bar is only pressure profiling via being programmed ahead of time.

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

brettpavia wrote:Was just wondering if anybody here is actually using this machine?
Searching on Vesuvius found plenty of discussions like Vesuvius Dual Boiler Espresso, Vesuvius has landed, Vesuvius: shot profiling potentials and pitfalls and of course the review. If you're looking for more specifics, try the forum search tips or ask a specific question and I'm sure an owner will chime in.

BTW, following your blog post on the Vesuvius, I noticed the review video by WholeLatteLove from a few months back:
Not surprisingly, their videos are a high on marketing and low on technique, but do a good job covering the features.
Dan Kehn

#9: Post by brettpavia (original poster) »

Dan, thanks for all the great links as many of them I had not discovered in my own searching. Although I am starting to really like this machine, I still have to wait to see how the Rocket Espresso R 60V compares. Many simular features and the same price point.... However there are things I like about the Vesuvius a bit better at the moment.

In either case, I can't wait to own one of these two machines soon so that I can start temp and pressure profiling single origins.

dominico
Team HB

#10: Post by dominico »

Slayer claims it is a "flow profiling" machine, where the flow of water through the puck is the manipulated parameter: as opposed to the pressure profiling machines where the pressure of the water flowing through the puck is the manipulated parameter. There is of course speculation about whether or not they are actually the same thing once the brew chamber fills with water. With one you are indirectly controlling pressure by controlling flow, and with the other you are indirectly controlling flow by controlling pressure.

If you are looking for some specific profiles to try you could download the Slayer manual, it has a few interesting suggestions. Also read Pressure profiling, flow profiling, and a new rule of thirds
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?