Ambient Temperature and PID Offset

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
brianl

#1: Post by brianl »

I don't have a scace device or anything that can really measure temperature on the puck accurately.

How does one typically adjust for brew offset? I noticed that in the summer when it was in was around 75 degrees, I was fine with temperature on the PID being 200. Now in the winter and it being 67 degrees, I find my PID being around 204 for all types of coffees. Same offset for both. I did not expect something as much as 4 degrees difference, but its possible.

What is the best way to combat a lower temperature? Will a longer preheat help? more flushing? I feel like with my machine, the more flushing could only lead to other problems with getting a stable temperature.

Another idea that I thought of was a DIY group PF thermocouple. I've tried to make one by drilling an old single basket and putting a thermocouple in with epoxy putty to seal it (use coffee to simulate flow). I bought the temperature probes and the device on ebay for cheap and it doesn't seem to be that 'fast acting'. Is there a particular type that I should be looking for? And would it be better to use a blind basket with a probe drilled in? perhaps a tiny open hole drilled in to simulate a coffee flow rate? And does the reader matter much or does it just need to be able to read T type such as this (http://www.amazon.com/Amprobe-TMD-52-Th ... 005GFKOYQ/ or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scientific-Digi ... 0958967979)

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

How long do you currently preheat?

Do you pull a warming flush immediately before pulling a shot? Ever?

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

brianl (original poster)

#3: Post by brianl (original poster) »

I currently have it set to preheat 45 minutes.

I pull a warming flush buy putting about an oz into my espresso cup immediately before I begin prepping my shot.

Another idea that I thought of was a DIY group PF thermocouple. I've tried to make one by drill an old single basket and putting a thermocouple in with epoxy putty to seal it. I bought the temperature probes and the device on ebay for cheap and it doesn't seem to be that 'fast acting'. Is there a particular type that I should be looking for? And would it be better to use a blind basket with a probe drilled in? perhaps a tiny open hole drilled in to simulate a coffee flow rate?

boar_d_laze

#4: Post by boar_d_laze »

brianl wrote:I don't have a scace device or anything that can really measure temperature on the puck accurately.
You don't need to measure temperature at the puck accurately. If the coffee is bitter, you're brewing too hot. If it's sour, you're brewing too cold. If it tastes good, good.
How does one typically adjust for brew offset? I noticed that in the summer when it was in was around 75 degrees, I was fine with temperature on the PID being 200. Now in the winter and it being 67 degrees, I find my PID being around 204 for all types of coffees. Same offset for both. I did not expect something as much as 4 degrees difference, but its possible.
The heat loss mostly comes in the form of radiance from the exposed group head, which causes the
E-61 to thermosiphon cooler water back to the brew tank, and in turn causes the PID to note the energy loss and deal with it.

Taste is the final arbiter. As long as you can dial-in the right brew temp and the machine will hold it, don't be overly worried by a digital readout.
What is the best way to combat a lower temperature?
Setting the temperature higher.
Will a longer preheat help? more flushing
Your preheat is long enough, and your warm-up flush routine is adequate.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

brianl (original poster)

#5: Post by brianl (original poster) »

thank you for that. I'm a little obsessive about some things. If the shot taste good...great. However, as soon as it starts to go bad and I can't correct it confidently, it bugs me. Measuring the group/brew temp is just something to reassure me. However, I know next to nothing about those digital thermocouple readers except for the fluke 52, which is a little pricey.

James Mulryan

#6: Post by James Mulryan »

I have the same question about my Alexia PID, the fellow who I bought it from said just judge by taste, but my intellect wants to know what the offset is, and it bugs me that he won't tell me. I am a relative newbie, and knowing that your temp offset shout be included with the purchase.

brianl (original poster)

#7: Post by brianl (original poster) »

I'm just looking into a couple thinks for making a device that reads brew temp.

1. Is it best to use Coffee, a sponge, or a blind basket with a tiny hole in it (to get about 30 ml in 25s) to obtain resistance. Seems like the easiest cleanest would be the blind basket unless someone knows a reason why not. Maybe with some jb weld in a single basket too.

2) what thermocouple type would be best for this application? Seems like j type is the most sensitive but what would contribute to speedy readings best? Does the reader have anything to do with speed or is it mostly wire gauge?

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

A grouphead temperature on dual boiler (DB) E-61 machines of ~ 197-198 F is very proper. A short (~1 second) screen flush and brew immediately.

See this: Monitoring Brew Temperature - E61 Groups
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

SJM

#9: Post by SJM »

You can build a thermofilter like this

brianl (original poster)

#10: Post by brianl (original poster) »

Thanks! I was just able to find that last one with instructions. Here is a link if anyone is interested
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/index.p ... =page;p=91