Adding switch to turn off refill during HX descale

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zfeldman

#1: Post by zfeldman »

I've got an Astra Pro which doesn't have a hot water tap.
To make it easier to descale the HX I'd like to add a switch to turn off the refill pump.
Is this a terrible idea?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

There's the risk that you'd accidentally leave the switch in the "disable steam boiler refill" position and burn out the heating element. You could go the opposite direction: Before descaling the HX, remove the steam boiler's water level sensor wire for a moment, forcing the boiler to slightly overfill. That will eliminate your concern about an inopportune refill getting descaling solution in the steam boiler.
Dan Kehn

zfeldman (original poster)

#3: Post by zfeldman (original poster) »

Thanks HB! I hadn't thought about focusing on the water level sensor wire.
I'd rather not have to remove the wire since that requires pulling the case off. It isn't exactly difficult to pull the case to get to the wire, but it is something I'd like to avoid having to do regularly.

However, I might more easily be able to just extend the water level sensor wire to the bottom of the machine. I could then just cut the wire and reconnect it with a wing-nut. There would be no switch to accidentally bump and I'd be much less likely to get shocked working with the sensor wire than the power for the pump.

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee replying to zfeldman »

Another thought if going the boiler over fill route for routine use. Instead of each time physically removing the twist connector and disconnecting the wires then reconnecting the wires and replacing twist connector install a momentary normally closed switch. Would only force fill while physically holding the switch pushed in. As soon as released would close circuit and stop filling. If you did accidentally bump it would only fill while bumped and immediately stop!
Mike McGinness

zfeldman (original poster)

#5: Post by zfeldman (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion. I decided to go the momentary switch route.
I had planned on placing the switch low on the frame so I could reach under to push it, but decided to place it closer to the water level meter and just push it from above through the warming tray grate with a chopstick the once or twice a year I need it.