Access to adjust brew pressure on Expobar

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
oldtrackpants

#1: Post by oldtrackpants »

Hi HB,

Firstly, apologize if this has been answered before, I have searched but wasn't able to find anything that seem to match my machine. Please point me in the right direction in case this information is available already.

Second of all, I feel pretty stupid right now as this seems like it should be the most obvious thing in the world. It seems I am missing something. Please be gentle :)

I have a plumbed in Expobar dual boiler machine with a rotary pump, I'm pretty sure it's a IV-R. I don't have it hooked into the mainline (as I live in China and the water in the mains is very not suitable for coffee or drinking at all for that matter) but to a reservoir. I find that when I brew espresso the brew pressure is a bit low, around 8 bars and I would like to adjust it up a little.

Since I have a rotary pump I have read that I shouldn't adjust the OPV but instead adjust the brew pressure. The info is mostly based on these threads:
Expobar Brewtus IV-R rotary pump pressure adjust question
Expobar Over Pressure Valve

There is also a reference in one of these threads to this photo:

The photo linked above seems taken from a machine identical to mine.

So, my question is simple: how in the world can I reach to adjust the brew pressure? It seems the only way is to take the machine entirely apart. Or maybe this is not the right place at all?

I'm also confused that some pages references a hole behind the drip tray where it's possible to adjust the brew pressure on IV-Rs. My machine has said hole but there is absolutely nothing behind this hole. Confused :S

And information is much appreciated and many thanks!

/dan