3 way valve not closing all the way

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jonny

#1: Post by jonny »

I just got my 83 pasquini livietta running and everything is working perfectly except for the 3 way solenoid valve. It seems like it isn't closing it's path to the drip tray all the way. When I flip on the brew switch water drips from the 3 way exhaust. When I flip on the brew switch with a loaded portafilter, there is a decent stream of water coming from the 3 way exhaust. I am under the impression that it is at least closing part way though because some pressure does build and there is still a woosh when I stop the brew. I have backflushed 3 times now in attempts to clean it out and the first time, a good amount of gunk came out but still not working properly. How do I take this apart to clean? Or will that even fix this problem? I got the coil off but that's it

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

See this thread about halfway down on page 2 - About 3-way Solenoid Valve Operation

You're probably gonna need a deep socket, depending on accessibility. Soak removed parts in Cafiza (sp) or Joe-Glo or similar with some hot water.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
jonny (original poster)

#3: Post by jonny (original poster) »

Yeah I read that post. I have been wrenching on it for a while and can't get it loose. Are these usually this tight? And you think a good cleaning is all it needs?

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

I have taken a few apart but not dozens. There may be a way (usually there is :) ) in which you can do more damage by trying to remove in-place. In that case, I would remove the base ( two M4 screws - watch out for the two o-rings) and soak the entire unit in very hot water.

Clamp the base in a vise and try with the correct 6 point socket. These hexes can take either metric or english depending on the brand.
Skål,

Eric S.

decaf_Ed

#5: Post by decaf_Ed »

erics wrote: Clamp the base in a vise...
That's the only way I could get my old Parker apart. But I used a large adjustable wrench instead of a socket.
-Ed

jonny (original poster)

#6: Post by jonny (original poster) »

Alright, I was able to get it apart with two wrenches and a mallet. Now that I'm inside, I don't know what I'm looking for to diagnose the problem. There are two seals. The bottom one moves on it's spring but the top one does not budge. Should it also move? The bottom seal looks a little dry with some cracks. Is this the problem? If so where can I get replacements? Thanks for your help guys

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

Maybe, after 25+ years, its time to treat your machine to some new parts: http://www.orphanespresso.com/Parker-11 ... _2277.html . Be sure to replace the two small o-rings from the same source as you obtain the valve.

But, to answer your question, I believe both seals should have a little play because they are both "spring mounted".
Skål,

Eric S.

Advertisement
jonny (original poster)

#8: Post by jonny (original poster) »

Yeah I have already replaced all of the seals and gaskets and deep cleaned every single part. I have already put a lot of money into this machine and wouldn't be too thrilled about throwing another $75 at it. Isn't there somewhere that I could get just the seals for the nucleus? It seems silly to replace the entire mechanism if just two little seals are bad. I saw the ODE nucleus for sale at espressoparts.com that I would think would fit my ODE valve but at $40, it's still a lot for two tiny seals...