3-way solenoid valve that doesn't discharge water?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kozmokr

#1: Post by kozmokr »

I saw an espresso machine at my friend's house. According to him, at the store they told him that it's fitted with a 3 way solenoid valve, and sometimes after I stop the brewing, it makes a sound similar to the one you should expect from such a valve. However, there are 2 strange things:

1. The valve, if exists, isn't connected to the drip tray. In fact, there's no place for it to dispense water at all.
2. If you remove the PF right away after brewing you feel that the pressure is still there, similar to my Gaggia Evolution that isn't fitted with a 3 way solenoid valve.

Now, I prefer not to mention the brand and model, I've contacted the importer, and they said that the machine is fitted with such a valve, but it's located between the pump and boiler. They said I could backflush without any problem.

Does that sound right? Is it me, or something's wrong here?

CRCasey

#2: Post by CRCasey »

You would have an over pressure valve between the pump and the boiler, not a 3-way.

A true 3-way valve has to go to the drip tray or the drain cup. Any where else would end up with gunk getting into the boiler itself.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

kozmokr wrote:Now, I prefer not to mention the brand and model, I've contacted the importer, and they said that the machine is fitted with such a valve, but it's located between the pump and boiler....
Have we gotten so overly-PC that we hesitate from mentioning a machine's manufacturer and model when asking questions about it? :? Are we one step away from, "I have something that does a thing when I turn one of the switches. Is that normal?" :roll:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

I remember reading on CG an owner of a Breville 800ESXL saying their machine had a 3-way valve and a HX. Wow, wrong on both accounts.

I agree with Randy, tell us what it is if you want an answer.
Merle