240V Expobar espresso machine runs on 200V in Japan

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Tobichan

#1: Post by Tobichan »

Just in case anybody is interested: there are not many Espresso machines available in Japan so I imported one from Europe: a 240V 2040W Expobar Office Pulser (2014 Expobar Office apparently has a 2040W heating element, as compared to a 1200W in older models). It is running without any problem on single phase 200V 50Hz in Tokyo.

DanoM

#2: Post by DanoM »

Good news on your import!
Yeah, you'll have slightly decreased heating capacity, but other than that you should be fine for heat.

Electronics sometimes get picky about voltage, but I would image just about all the modern equipment would be designed with switching power supplies to handle proper voltage to the controllers.

As big as coffee pourovers, drips and other preparations are in Japan I'm always surprised there isn't more espresso. The machines I have seen were huge square, stainless steel, boxes that resemble no espresso machine I've ever seen in a shop. (Ascaso type machines might be close in lack of style.)

If I were ever to move back to Japan I'd take my La Pavoni 120v machine for sure.
LMWDP #445

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

Now I'm informed by the wife that Japan might be in our near future. (Couple years anyway.) Parents are asking for her to come back and help them out with care if something happens, and their health has had several ups and downs lately... Time to start hitting the books and get my Japanese language proficiency certification passed I guess!

I was going to take my La Pavoni to Japan, but now that I have a Bezzera Strega I guess that will be the one that needs to make the trip. It's a 120V machine, so running on 100V is going to downgrade the heater from 1450W to roughly 1000W - just barely enough power. I might also look into getting a step up/down transformer for power if necessary. (A Strega in Japan seems to run about US$2900, from what I could find. I could almost get 2 of them here for that price.)

We need to get a Salvatore in Japan to start opening up that market more. Start making a tiny, spring-lever fronted boiler with steam capability - like a PV Export with a Bosco group! :D That would certainly fit in most households, but then again it'd be cumbersome too.
LMWDP #445

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM »

I just got a reply from Bezzera's lab. Andrea Ferrari let me know that a 120v Strega should work fine in Japan, and the only question would be whether the pump hits full pressure. Since we aren't using the pump for pulling the shot there shouldn't be any problems.

Seems that Kalita is the Japanese importer for Bezzera machines, but they don't list them on their website.
LMWDP #445