2-way solenoid vs check valve on plumb-in

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ryguy

#1: Post by ryguy »

I'm planning to plumb in my BZ02 and outboard the pump ala Dan's setup below. Would a John Guest check valve work as well as the 2-way solenoid in this case? Chris coffee's plumb kits also include the solenoid so it made me wonder if there was a particular reason to use the more expensive solenoid.

Thanks!

Ryan

4000ft

#2: Post by 4000ft »

I dont think either is required, the machine has a check valve between the HX and the pump and a solenoid between the boiler and pump, and a vibe pump doesnt allow backflow in my experience.

ryguy (original poster)

#3: Post by ryguy (original poster) replying to 4000ft »

Thanks for the reply. I'll also have a check valve where I tee off the mains, so I would think that and the ones within the machine would be good enough too.
Ryan

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

A check valve and solenoid are very different things and not interchangeable. A check valve just keeps pressure from back feeding into the public water system if there is a drop in city water pressure. It is required by most plumbing codes (if you do it code). A machine with a vibe pump is not designed for positive pressure from a mains connection. If you just plumb in a water line to the vibe pump you will end up with water running out of your group or 3-way valve. The solenoid blocks the water pressure and flow from the mains until you activate the pump. Yes you need it is the short answer.
Dave Stephens

4000ft

#5: Post by 4000ft »

cannonfodder wrote:If you just plumb in a water line to the vibe pump you will end up with water running out of your group or 3-way valve.
Only if theres a problem with the 3-way