1988 Elektra Delizioza pump problems

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
AllThingsAnalog

#1: Post by AllThingsAnalog »

Hi all,

I acquired this machine a couple of weeks ago. The owner assured me it worked last year!!

Well, I plugged it in and motor made noise for a minute or so (buzzing), then stopped. From that point on when I turn it on it buzzes for a brief second and then becomes quiet. It still heats up and the steam valve opens (there is left over water in the reservoir but I don't believe new water is making its way in).

I called Stefano's and the lovely lady advised me to open the machine and attempt to see if the pump can me turned manually. I opened it up this morning and can't seem to locate the pump... Was this machine converted at some point in time?? Don't they all have pumps? Can anyone advise me what I should be looking for? I am sorry for the amateur questions in advance!

forbeskm

#2: Post by forbeskm »

I would guess its that white cylinder at the bottom in the middle.

AllThingsAnalog (original poster)

#3: Post by AllThingsAnalog (original poster) »

Would that be a vibratory pump? Does this machine not have a rotary pump and motor? Thanks in advance!

forbeskm

#4: Post by forbeskm »

I think so, there is another thread here Elektra (1988) Single Group Commercial Rebuild that shows a commercial version with a rotary pump pictured. And another here, Elektra T1 Deliziosa

That looks like a vibe pump you have but I am new to the pump machine side of the world and will defer to someone with more experience.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Take this kindly - you have bit off more than you can chew. Find a machine repair facility in the New Jersey area that can give you an estimate on the repairs you will most assuredly need. That said . . .

What others have identified as the vibration pump is correct. The black flex hose, connected with the screw clamp, needs to be led to some sort of reservoir (an empty gallon jug for now).

The main power switch for the machine LIKELY has three positions (0, 1, 2). You need not go to position 2 for now. Position 1 should fill the boiler and when that stops, turn the switch to position 2.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#6: Post by AllThingsAnalog (original poster) »

Thank you for your replies.

I will likely take the machine to service, but wanted to try to go at it first.... It's in my spirit.

So a couple of things... Hooked the machine up and turned it on. It buzzed again and stopped. When I press the water delivery button (bottom center), the group head delivers a slow stream of water.... It got perpetually hotter.

The tank does not seem to autofill... It produced steam quickly as there is a small amount of water left in the tank. Small amount of steam is delivered via steam wand or water tap when opened... No water.

Also, this machine only has position 0 and 1 without an autofill option. See photos.

Based on the symptoms I am thinking that the auto refill solenoid is perhaps to blame? Again, please excuse my naiveté... I am eager to learn from this community! Thank you all for your help!

erics
Supporter ★

#7: Post by erics »

Try priming the pump suction line with a "turkey baster" and post a pic of the reservoir you are using.

Disconnect the heating element while all this is going on . . . you do not need heat.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#8: Post by AllThingsAnalog (original poster) »

I have this connected directly to a water supply line... I did the manual priming by opening the steam valve while pressing the bottom center button to deliver water to the group head. The water comes out of the group head, but nothing is coming out of the steam opening until the boiler heats up and delivers steam. I will have to disconnect the heating element as the amount of water remaining in the boiler is minimal at this point.

Thanks again for your help