1963 single group e61 single phase rewire help please

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cambridgee61

#1: Post by cambridgee61 »

Hi,
I've just bought a faema 1963 e61 single group. I need help to rewire it from 3 phase to single phase electrics please. can anyone show a wiring diagram or photos of the wiring on the same machine converted to single phase? can anyone also show me where the 3 wires for the faema pump go to? do I keep the original element when converted to single phase? many thanks dan

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Dan,

Welcome to H-B!

If you don't find this information posted in response, you might try calling the repair department at Mr. Espresso in Oakland, CA. They have restored a number of these vintage machines. Another contact may be whoever repairs the machines in the collection of Enrico Maltoni (espressomadeinitaly.com).

At Mr. Espresso the equipment buyer and head of warehouse operations is Alex Zambrano at this email address. azambrano at mrespresso dot com

I have seen many great vintage machines in the warehouse there, and this company repairs machines for coffee shops. They sell and service the new E61 Legend machines too. A diagram for those may be helpful to you.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

cambridgee61 (original poster)

#3: Post by cambridgee61 (original poster) »

hi,thanks for the reply,im in uk and would like to fit a 3 core plug for home use. does anyone have a wiring diagram or pics. of the single phase wiring? please?dan in Cambridge uk

walshman

#4: Post by walshman »

Not sure if this helps but my 2012 E61 came with a 3 phase flex. I connected the brown, blk and grey wires together in the load side of a switched spur making it single phase although it will take longer to heat up.

cambridgee61 (original poster)

#5: Post by cambridgee61 (original poster) »

hi, any pictures or diagrams of the e61 single phase wiring please? thanks dan

kajer

#6: Post by kajer »

Can you post some pictures or diagrams of your machine? I don't think it would be a wise decision to offer 3phase to split phase wiring advice (or take the above advice) without even a picture to base assumptions on.

Please, go to a service shop if you are going to attempt to run a rewired machine. I know a few of us here have no problems moving our machines from 120V to 240V, but you are talking about single phase. Once you introduce Leg 1, 2, and 3 with 208V and the like in to the mix, you have the potential to go very wrong very quickly. You will not be able to put the magic smoke back in to your machine once released...

http://www.thecoffeebrewers.com/electricity.html

This guide, give a good explanation to the differences between split, 1 and 3 phase systems. If you don't understand the concepts, then do not attempt any wiring yourself. Some of us may be able to help you, but we'll need detailed a pictures, and diagrams to even attempt to give you advice.

gor

#7: Post by gor »

+1 on the above

I think you are confusing single phase with 3 phase.

If you have 3 wires i.e. one neutral, one 'hot' and one ground wire... then this is single phase and if you are in England it would be 240v

3-phase is used where the loads are huge and can be 'split' between the 3 phases to lighten the load so to speak. I DOUBT very much that your single group vintage E61 is wired for 3phase power! Usually 3 and 4 group machines are supplied with 3-phase connection capabilities because the machines have huge elements in them i.e. 6.5kW etc

The vintage E61 machine you have has a tiny element in it and it certainly wouldn't require 3-phase. If you already bough the machine with 3-phase wiring connection within it, then this is just wrong! A picture would confirm this and I'm sure somebody would be able to help. Asking for a wiring diagram to convert 3-phase into single phase on a vintage E61 single group machine, rings alarm bells for me!

I done the 3-phase to single conversion a number of times, but unless you supply pictures and/or clearer info, giving you help on this matter would be a big NO NO, in my opinion.

Take it to a repair shop!

Billc

#8: Post by Billc »

I would agree that you should take to someone who know about this.

I will also add that 3 Phase machines are very popular in europe (from small to big). We don't see much over here unless on specific request. This allows a small load per line and in some countries you are charged more for larger circuits (not sure if this happens much any more).

Most all of the mechanical pressure switches (pressure stat) have 3 contacts for just this reason.

Essentially the 3 phase wiring in espresso machines is similar to single phase but the heating element usually has 3 sections (one for each phase). The problem you will encounter is how the 3 phase is configured - usually either in a DELTA or a WYE. When you rewire you will have to use larger diameter wire to accommodate the larger load on a single line and somehow connect the heating element together such that there is one inlet and one outlet for power.

BillC