06 Rancilio Classe 8 rebuild.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
stuartmac

#1: Post by stuartmac »

I recently picked up my new winter project, a completely disassembled rancilio classe 8. It came as a frame some steel and boxes of parts and small plastic bags. Everything is numbered but the numbers dont seem to make any sense. It was apparently dissembled to be moved and then never re assembled for what ever reason. This should make it a interesting project since i didn't get to take it apart i have no idea where anything goes.

some parts are badly scaled , im not sure how the machine worked at all with the HX injectors being almost completely clogged with scale.

HX injector tubes.

Wiring rats nest.

hx outlet side.

The Fame as i bought it, nothing at all attached.

notice the pile of scale from the hx tubes.

bags of parts with labels and little drawn diagrams.

Groups removed from frame ( can someone explain the machine screw in the right hand side)

stuartmac (original poster)

#3: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

thanks, i did find that simple rancillo manual, hopefully it helps me with the programing the machine part.

this diagram here i think is the main one il be using, the rest will be trial and error.

#4: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

well its been a long winter. Im not going to lie, the machine sat un loved all winter until a few weeks ago when i made myself drive the frame two hours away to be powder coated.

With the frame powder coated i ebayed myself some citric acid and finally got a start on the plumbing.

polished the boiler up a bit and set it in the frame to start fitting plumbing.

espresso parts order arrived now i have to remember where the 30 various sized washers i ordered go. also replacing the feet with longboard wheels.

Going to attempt to install the c-leaver steam valve to replace the old standard rotary valve.

Finally got smart and called rancilio usa and asked for the shop manuals, what a difference not guessing makes.

Not sure about this isteam thing, seems to have a lot of extra parts.

took me a minute to realize that i was not missing the hx water inlet pipe and that i was reading the semi auto schematic with no flow meter.

2StrokeBloke

#5: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

Great challenge!
Your rebuild is looking good. Smart move on the manuals..sometimes the wonderous internet and all its free info still comes up lacking. Imagine doing this 20 years ago with no internet, no forums!

Bossman

#6: Post by Bossman »

I am glad there are people in the world like you, to help those of us like myself who would have taken one look and given up lol. My dad is an extremely talented artist, went to school to be a mechanic and is a contractor for a living. I thought I had completed a great accomplishment when I switched my 15a outlet for 20a lol. (yes I made sure it was the proper 12awg and the breaker was already 20a and that nothing else was on the circuit)

I did not get even a tiny bit of my dad's mechanical talents.

heilong

#7: Post by heilong »

You're a brave man, Stuart! Many parts in strangely labeled bags sound like a nightmare to me. When I disassembled by Due for rebuild, I took many pictures, measured every part with calipers and took notes of all dimensions, screw heads etc., and finally all the smaller parts went into a big organizer box with (sensible) labels. Now I'm looking at the pics and think I should've taken more!
Good luck with your rebuild!

#8: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

got more wiring installed including flowmeter connections and some of the solenoid plugs.

Not sure if i connected what im assuming is a over temp cutout correctly.

Controls are re installed with the screen. Also re installed the cooling fan.
Cant figure out which screw the temp sensor for the cooling fan attaches to. Im assuming it removes the hot air from behind the display.

Control box is bolted on with some wires installed finally. Also got the pump situated behind it with the flex lines attached. Cant seem to find any hold down bolts for the pump though.

c leaver steam control is attached but im not sure how the clearances will work yet with the retaining clip until i get the panel polished up and installed. Also had to replace the dry rotted air tube for the isteam system, not sure my new silicon tubing is going to take the heat but we will see.

lasseh

#9: Post by lasseh »

stuartmac wrote:Also got the pump situated behind it with the flex lines attached. Cant seam to find any hold down bolts for the pump though.
Hi!
Pump is standing on four soft rubber-legs and there is bolts going through rubber. Little difficult to put camera inside the machine but hope you see enough.

stuartmac wrote:Controls are re installed with the screen. Also re installed the cooling fan.
Cant figure out which screw the temp sensor for the cooling fan attaches to. Im assuming it removes the hot air from behind the display."
In my Classe 8 the cooling fan is operating all the time. Don't know if there is any temp sensor, maybe?
Inside the screen unit is battery that keeps the clock in time. I changed mine and realized that screen unit has to open because the battery is somehow welded in it's place. So if You need to replace the battery, open the screen.
Btw. stuartmac, I put some new photos to dropbox-folder..

-lasse-

#10: Post by stuartmac (original poster) »

i definitely don't have any extra rubber pieces like that so i will fab something up.

Thanks for the picture.