Pasquini K2 stepless or stepped?

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mariowar
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by mariowar »

I am wondering if any of the K2 owners here can clarify if this model is truly stepless as advertised in WLL, or stepped. I am asking because WLL insist it is stepless, however I just called Pasquini and they say it is stepped.....

Thanks

roadman
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by roadman »

My K2 from a couple years ago was stepped. Don't know about the current model being sold but unless they did a redesign I would assume it's still stepped.

Jon

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

This is what is posted on Aabree Coffee:
Multiple Grind Settings
The K2 offers an infinite number of stepped grind settings. (emphasis mine) Simply hold the adjustment lever underneath the bean hopper, and turn the hopper to the desired setting.
Now, that must be one big grind adjustment wheel!
Scott
LMWDP #248

mariowar (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by mariowar (original poster) »

Thanks, well, I only have experience with a Rocky......

I hope this one will be worth it and a good match to my Brewtus that will arrive soon........
Happy New Year to all,

Bertie Doe

#5: Post by Bertie Doe »

I have a Pasquini K2, which is badged ECM Casa in Europe. Is it stepped? Yes, the locking pin you see in the picture, is held in place under spring tension and locates in those small square holes in the top carrier. If you press down on the pin, thus disingaging it, you can select any position between 'clicks', thus making it infinitely adjustable. To do this you will need to push down on the pin, with your little finger and place your thumb on top of the hopper, to counter the gentle torque. This is hassle.

I guess the makers, feared cross-threading the aluminum and brass threads, decided on using 8 pitches per 10mm, which is way too coarse for espresso. As you see, I have removed the pin completely. When I clean, I have to remember to unscrew the top carrier 6.5 turns. If I forget and the burrs touch, there's no big drama, no sparks etc, you simply get a gentle hum from the motor and you switch off and back off.

Bertie Doe

#6: Post by Bertie Doe »

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by mariowar (original poster) »

Bertie, thanks.

I just received my Brewtus, along with the K2, however, I t is incredible to see that 8=zero , the burrs barely touch.

Then I dial it to 7 and the shortest shot tamping hard with 24 hour roasted coffee was 25 seconds..........

I do not see a way to shock the machine with this grinder at any point, therefore, I would have to say goodbye to ristrettos......

Any suggestions?

Bertie Doe

#8: Post by Bertie Doe »

Mariowar wrote
I do not see a way to shock the machine with this grinder at any point, therefore, I would have to say goodbye to ristrettos......

Any suggestions?
I don't think it's possible to have much control over this grinder for espresso. The half clicks are much too course. When I first got the grinder, It was difficult to hit consistent ristrettos, even with the locking pin removed. Things got easier after 50 shots, so I guess it takes time for the burrs to 'bed in'.

I'm a bit nervous about quoting click numbers, unless the grinders are sequential on a production line, but here goes. I'm pulling 1.4oz ristrettos (inc crema) in 40sec from a 15g load. My beans are very dark, I roast about 5sec into rolling 2nd for Haraar.. Fresh I would be between 9 and 9.5 clicks. As the beans age, I may go half a 'click' finer.

All I can suggest, is you increase your load by a few grams and see what happens. If you do decide to remove the pin, it's about 6 and a half turns, to remove the top carrier. Get an old toothbrush and the vac cleaner at the ready etc. When reassembling don't lube the threads, otherwise it may be difficult to counter the torque with one finger. Once you replace the top carrier, you will find it easier to use the screw above the square grind chute as a reference (see pic), so 9 (on the side) now becomes 2.5 on the front.

Bertie

roadman
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by roadman »

Bertie Doe wrote:I don't think it's possible to have much control over this grinder for espresso. The half clicks are much too course. When I first got the grinder, It was difficult to hit consistent ristrettos, even with the locking pin removed. Things got easier after 50 shots, so I guess it takes time for the burrs to 'bed in'.
<snip>
All I can suggest, is you increase your load by a few grams and see what happens.
<snip>
Bertie
I agree with Bertie, the distance between clicks makes it tough to fine tune the grind. Varying the dose helps. After struggling with the Rocky and K2, I'm totally sold on using a stepless grinder for espresso.

Jon

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by mariowar (original poster) »

Well, no luck. Overfilling the basket to the point that the tamper is half way out of it, I could get only a decent shot with some dark crema spots. I hqve the feeling that something wrong is going on with this grinder.......

The weird thing is that people usually talk about how finicky is Silvia with some grinders, and I never ever had an issue with my Rocky shocking the machine at setting # 5. And this grinder is about the same if not better than Rocky ( similar burrs, more powerful motor) and Brewtus due to the E61 is supposed to be a very forgiving machine........, go figure.

I will receive a Macap M4 (doser) on friday. I just got tired of messy doserless grinder due to static.......
I hope that I will have better luck with this one, otherwise, it will be going back too. ......