Hand (grinder) Jive - a photo essay - Page 29

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
peacecup (original poster)

#281: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

don't tell Doug at orphan, but I usually get some good quality clear finish and carefully cover the decal as soon as I get a grinder that I plan to use.

PC
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

Bluecold

#282: Post by Bluecold »

peacecup wrote:The 550 has no problem in the burr department, however. It packs a full-size burr, but only fits 20g of beans in the hopper.
A bit of prodding will get a tad under 35 grams in the hopper. The hopper is so narrow that the axle prevents the back from filling if you just throw the beans in.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Advertisement
chang00

#283: Post by chang00 »

IslandAddict wrote:It's available from http://www.avenue18.ca, but after testing I can't recommend it. The inner burr wobbles around quite a bit, resulting in a horribly inconsistent grind. It's a shame. If the designers had added a simple stabilizer piece on the bottom it would be a good grinder, especially for 25 Canadian dollars.

I had a slightly different experience with this Hario hand grinder for espresso pulled with the Anita. The first try resulted in choking the machine. On the third try, after cranking about 200 times, it resulted in a ristretto.

The ceramic burrs are easily removed for cleaning.

The burrs actually wobble less than the Zass Turkish grinder, which uses a screw and spring for adjustment and has a tendency to wander. It weighs 246g compare with the Zass at 494g. Because of the extensive plastic construction, I don't expect it to last a life time. Due to the Hario's compactness and weight, it has become my new traveling espresso grinder.

samgiles

#284: Post by samgiles »

Hi everyone,
I just bought a Zassenhaus mill from our local version of ebay. It seems pretty tidy but I have to clean it really thoroughly as it's been used to grind pepper would you believe!!! Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the pepper smell? Here are a couple of pics...

LMWDP #169

GB

#285: Post by GB »

peacecup,

I always wondered why no manufacturer took advantage of the ergonomics of an angled shaft grinder. So now the 88 has me really curious. Does the angled shaft make it easier to use? And how well does it grind? Also would you mind photographing the mechanism from below with the drawer removed.

Thanks in advance
Geoffrey
Simply coffee

IslandAddict

#286: Post by IslandAddict »

Zassenhaus Lima stainless steel/acrylic grinder:

I'm very happy with it.

#287: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Is that a brand new Zass? It looks very nice - is it for coffee or pepper? Made in Germany? Forged burrs?

Thanks for showing it.

PC
LMWDP #049

Advertisement

#288: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Geoffry,

RE the 88, I'll try to take a few extra photos. The handle shaft is ~ 5 mm longer than the other PeDes I have, and is some kind of machined metal (brass or aluminum?). The angle is a little complicated to describe, so I'll photo it, but basically the front of the grinder faces on a downward angle while held between the knees. The the handle is level - I suppose if I held it flat the handle would be more ergonomic - I haven't tried.

The burrs and adjusment seem standard PeDe, but again I'll have a better look and photos soon.

PC
LMWDP #049

IslandAddict

#289: Post by IslandAddict »

Is that a brand new Zass?
Yes it is. It's for coffee, made in Germany, and the burrs are ceramic.

I got this one on Ebay, but I believe http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/home.php has it, and maybe some other North American retailers do as well.

More info on the Zassenhaus site: http://zassenhaus.com/index.php?id=17. Also check out their new Z-Design mills at the bottom of the page. Wow! I want one!

Re: the Hario mill above. I confess that I only tried it for coarse press pot grind. Apparently its true calling is for espresso. I'll give it another try. One thing I did figure out during a power outage is that it hooks up very easily to a cordless adjustable drill.

TUS172

#290: Post by TUS172 »

It is really something to reread threads like this one... I had forgotten that I had ventured into hand grinders after reading the posts after about 6 pages last year... And that is why now my Nemox Lux still resides in the cabinet above our kitchen sink... I have not used it since the 1st experience with a hand grinder. I am very happy with all of the hand grinders I currently own. I have ventured to put an order in for a Vario but the hand grinders will always be used... unlike the Nemox... Anyone in the market for a used Nemox... cheap? :)
PM me.
Bob C.
(No longer a lever purist!)
LMWDP #012