Why do all old ground coffees smell alike?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
thementos

#1: Post by thementos »

Hello this is my first post in this site, i just love it its awesome and i have learned so much.

Yesterday i realize that all the coffee that places like supermarkets sell already ground, smells the same. Is this due a chemical being release with oxidation? For more details we are talking about a really old coffee
(maybe +3 months). Also i see (smell) this with different kinds of coffee. I haven't actually prepared a cup from this coffee bags i have just smelt this in other houses.

Thank you in advance!
PS: im not a native speaker

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

I can't answer your question but welcome here! Your English is quite good. :)

Advertisement
sonnyhad

#3: Post by sonnyhad »

Welcome! To answer your question, maybe that place all the coffee smells alike, because it might be all the same, but it doesn't all smell alike typically. When you roast and grind your own you can tell the difference.
LMWDP 437

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

After a while, all the aromatics oxidize or evaporate. What remains is baked cellulose and non-volitile compounds. Given that coffees are roasted to the same level, eventually all the compounds that taste different will dissipate. What remains is the same.
LMWDP #366

thementos (original poster)

#5: Post by thementos (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for the answers. Pacificmanitou that was definitly what i was looking for thanks!