Which roast level & beans for proper Cafe Cubano style?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Travisimo

#1: Post by Travisimo »

Hello fellow HBs.

Recently I tried a "Cuban Roast" drip coffee and am liking the style as a change of pace, compared to some of the 3rd wave flavor profiles.

My question to you all is:

Q: For a proper Cafe Cubano --
What is a good roast level (dark or medium)? Which traditional blend or origin (Colombian only)

I respect this forum a lot with all the vast tribal knowledge of the love for all things coffee.

Thank you all for your input.

Ellejaycafe

#2: Post by Ellejaycafe »

I want to say traditionally you should use a classic Italian style roast (but now there are plenty of places in Miami using strictly Colombian and Cuban dark roast). I would use maybe a northern Italian style blend, or personally anything seen as a "chocolate bomb." Something with maybe a dry processed Brazil for extra crema and bittersweet chocolate notes. A cubano is made by putting raw sugar in the portafilter mixed with the espresso. The heat and pressure sort of "caramalize" the sugars with the espresso. I've tried it and it's delicious.

There is a shop here called crema (which happens to be my second favorite shop in all of Nashville) that does a drink they call a "cubano" and it consists of their house blend, sweetened condensed milk, and steamed milk; generally served in an 8 or 12oz cup. It's a far cry from the traditional cubano but by far my favorite iteration (if I want a sweet latte). It's so incredibly good. I suggest trying to make one for yourself but cut it down to a double shot 6oz.
LMWDP #544

Advertisement
Travisimo (original poster)

#3: Post by Travisimo (original poster) »

Thanks for the info Ellejaycafe.

I am open to both the traditional style and other iterations. I was thinking it must be a traditional Colombian dark roast.
Thanks for the other idea with the sweet condensed milk that you like.

Good stuff!

Any others suggestions HBs?

Regards,