What the? When "good" coffees fail to impress friends/family - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
endlesscycles

#31: Post by endlesscycles »

I once brought an excellent Kenya to a recording studio customer. They called back the next day saying the band recording there said it tasted like hot dogs. I thought, "oh yeah.. nice savory coffee with good tangy acidity". They on the other hand were calling to have it replaced.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#32: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Hot dogs! Maybe what they really needed was a few condiment coffees to go with that first one? :wink: I've tasted ketchup in a Kenya before...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

LaDan

#33: Post by LaDan »

This thread is too funny. Sometimes I note to myself that this espresso I had made have like chicken soup notes, or sometimes a really well seasoned and Delicious beef stew notes. I always think to myself that this is something I should never say around here. Now I feel free! LOL

The last few days I smell and taste animal and manure, but it was one of the best espressos I have made. Now I was thinking it taste and smells like sh!t. Now, you can't say that can you? It smells like sh!t but in a good way. I was giggling to myself every day just thinking of me saying this. So I gave it much more thought and tasting and smelling. I would say that it smells like you'd go in a farm and there is that strong smell of sheep(s) and goats, and the unmistakable smell of the animal manure and the wet hay. You know it stinks when you drive by these farms, but it also smells SOOO GOOOD. The mix is African mix, I was thinking that I can smell the villages in Africa in it. Then when I finally dialed it well, it also tasted like it smelled. I was so happy with it, but thought what a shame that you can't really tell others what it smells and tastes like without grossing them out. ROFL.

frank828

#34: Post by frank828 »

we are some interesting folk. coffee likely has opened up our palates to appreciating so many different flavors.

i'm still surprised when my girlfriend smells some of my dry processed konga or gedeo worka greens and starts to get grossed out. I LOVE that smell!

TheSunInsideYou

#35: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

LaDan wrote:You know it stinks when you drive by these farms, but it also smells SOOO GOOOD. The mix is African mix, I was thinking that I can smell the villages in Africa in it. Then when I finally dialed it well, it also tasted like it smelled. I was so happy with it, but thought what a shame that you can't really tell others what it smells and tastes like without grossing them out. ROFL.
I was reading this post, and it reminded me of a really funny, bizarre description I read in Baltimore. It's one thing for us to joke about tasting notes on this forum, but obviously coffee companies wouldn't say things like that--publicly, at least--right? Well, when I was at Spro in Baltimore, they were offering a Geisha that they described as having a "mulch" tasting note. Reading it, I thought to myself, "Even if you tasted that, why would you describe it that way?" But of course I purchased it on their syphon for like $15 anyway; it wasn't nearly enough of a deterrent for me :lol: .

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

LaDan

#36: Post by LaDan »

.....But of course I purchased it on their syphon for like $15 anyway; it wasn't nearly enough of a deterrent for me :lol:
But was is good? $15 good? :mrgreen:

jbviau (original poster)
Supporter ★

#37: Post by jbviau (original poster) »

Mulch! Yum. Yeah, Jay (@SproHampden) is really into food as well, and it shows in his descriptions (e.g. on this menu in need of updating).

Animal, manure, hay--oh my! I'm enjoying this trip down the smelly brick road. And, yes, I can relate: always did like the decaying smell of a mangrove swamp back in my Miami days, for example...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

TheSunInsideYou

#38: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

LaDan wrote:But was is good? $15 good? :mrgreen:
Haha. Yes, I suppose I did miss the important information. It was actually fantastic. Not as good as the Intelli Santuario Geisha, but it was still a Geisha, and it showed. It was worth $15 for an every once in a while treat, but not as an every day thing.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

heavyduty

#39: Post by heavyduty »

LaDan wrote:I would say that it smells like you'd go in a farm and there is that strong smell of sheep(s) and goats, and the unmistakable smell of the animal manure and the wet hay.
I don't know about espresso, but in wine this is called "barnyard".
http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/5243
http://www.wineloverspage.com/questiona ... d_smel.php
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

SimonPatrice

#40: Post by SimonPatrice »

In beer as well, think Cantillon for example.
Patrice
LMWDP #428