What is wow'ing you? - Page 71

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mania

#701: Post by mania »

Hi All

This has been wow'ing me the last few days :D

I like Heart's Roasts & that you can get 1lb bags too
I enjoy their Stereo Blend of 50% Ethiopian & 50% Guatemalan

But on the last order I also tried their Kenya Kiramariga AB
Glad I did !

Very Good as both Espresso or with milk in a Cappulatte :lol:

Creamy Caramel goodness with some acidity espresso
My wife said strong coconut flavors in her milk based drinks

redbone

#702: Post by redbone »

Trialling some coffee I received from a local roaster for my opinion. Interesting description.

No name considering not a retail product. A importer of green bean supplier. Roastery may sell for drip and P.O. straight or blended.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

cmin

#703: Post by cmin »

redbone wrote:Trialling some coffee I received from a local roaster for my opinion. Interesting description.

<image>

No name considering not a retail product. A importer of green bean supplier. Roastery may sell for drip and P.O. straight or blended.
tomato and basil... thats an odd description lol

redbone

#704: Post by redbone replying to cmin »

I thought the same. Could be psychological considering I read the description prior to tasting the coffee, but I did taste an essence of tomato / basil.

Next time I will wait a read the description post tasting to avoid any preconceptions.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

jesse

#705: Post by jesse »

JBC Roasters.

Kamagogo Kenya: Outrageously viscous, complex and aggressive. Quintessential Kenyan flavor profile for me.

Bufcafe Rwanda: Tropical. Balanced and elegant. Really beautiful coffee and one of my favorites in recent years.

I'm a little leery of the whole Coffee Review rating thing, but JBC has impressed the hell out of me with these two.

HBchris

#706: Post by HBchris »

Kuma Kenya Kainamui

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0113/ ... 1498240347

As espresso: Super sweet, tastes just like sugared red ruby red grapefruit with hint of cherry. At longer extraction time loses some sweetness, but pineapple comes through. Also makes a great cortado/gibraltar, im still tasting several hours and meals later.

RyanJE

#707: Post by RyanJE »

jesse wrote:JBC Roasters.

Kamagogo Kenya: Outrageously viscous, complex and aggressive. Quintessential Kenyan flavor profile for me.

Bufcafe Rwanda: Tropical. Balanced and elegant. Really beautiful coffee and one of my favorites in recent years.

I'm a little leery of the whole Coffee Review rating thing, but JBC has impressed the hell out of me with these two.
Had their SO espresso pulled at a shop in CA recently (a few times). I think it was an Ethiopia Worka. It's was crazy good all three times. So I figure it wasn't luck.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

TomC
Team HB

#708: Post by TomC »

Counter Culture's famed FInca Nuguo (pulped natural Gesha) arrived on Wednesday night, too late for me to play with, but properly rested for whatever brew method I chose.

Thursday morning I brewed it up using my traditional Japanese style cloth pour over filter setup and wasn't impressed at all. The coffee tasted insipid, flat and bordering on dirty, almost no sweetness, no brightness, just bad ju-ju. The next day at work, I set it up with a finer grind, hotter water, and let the brew rest until it was just barely warm and it finally revealed all the exciting stuff. I found an almost undulating acidity emerging, almost like tasting the snappiness of a plums skin after first getting the sweet fruit on your palate. The coffee is unique enough to stand out from other fine coffees as long as you're giving it a chance to cool down first, so if others plan to pick it up, let it cool down! It'll reward you.

The peach flavor is rather weighted on the palate. It doesn't taper off till the finish, and thats when the acidity sorta pops back up on you to let you know you're drinking something special.

Definitely grind it finer than you'd expect for your given preparation. Is it worth $80 a pound? Not really... But it is unique enough that I was comfortable buying a 4 ounce package. It doesn't scream "typical geisha". The florality is nice, but not domineering.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

beta14ok

#709: Post by beta14ok »

The ol' Isomac was down for maintenance & decalc' over the weekend, so I brewed some Counter Culture Coffee Hologram in a french press, (7:120 ratio), as a substitute.

I've been drinking this stuff (Aficionado/Rustica/Hologram) as an espresso off-n-on for many, many years through it's ups-n-downs-n-all-arounds. But I gotta tell you, that the press pot on Sunday morning was one of the best cups of coffee I have had in awhile. Drinking as describe like a dark fruit forward Mocha-Java without the earthy rough & tumble Java. This incarnation is really very nicely elegant....I'm almost afraid to push it through the espresso machine.

Roast date 03Aug17. - 25% Kilenso Mokonisa Natural, Ethiopia / 65% CODECH Guattemala / 10% Kushikamana, Kenya

TrlstanC

#710: Post by TrlstanC »

TomC wrote: It doesn't scream "typical geisha". The florality is nice, but not domineering.
I tried it too this weekend, I was brewing it as french press and then tried pulling a shot of espresso this morning. I agree that it's definitely not a typical geisha, but it's a very clean coffee with interesting acidity.

Brewing it definitely worked best at hotter temps, although in the cup I'd recommend drinking it slowly because it really came alive as it cooled. I was a little disappointed with the first few sips of my first cup, but by the end of it I was definitely "wow'd".