What is wow'ing you? - Page 41

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Balthazar_B

#401: Post by Balthazar_B »

Unfortunately, HoneyCo's pricing on 5 lb. is not that much of a bargain over smaller quantities -- in contrast to many other roasters -- including several in this thread. :D

5 lb. at their 10 oz pricing ($1.425/oz) would be $114, instead of the $108.80 they charge...small discount. It may be worth it...but I do wonder if it's over twice as good as...well, most people are aware of the great 5 lb bargains available.
- John

LMWDP # 577

caldwa

#402: Post by caldwa replying to Balthazar_B »

I guess it depends on what you're looking for - value or that combo of top quality/flavor profile that fits your preference? For me, HoneyCo's espresso right now hits a sweet-spot of flavor profile I enjoy like no espresso blend I've ever found. It's not cheap, but I don't drink specialty coffee because it's cheap :wink:

Advertisement
heavyduty

#403: Post by heavyduty »

Roaster/retailers and consumer/customers will look at this through their own perspective. I for one had not heard of this roaster and was interested when I recognized the guy from the Verve videos. I then saw the prices and the 10oz. bags and did not add them to my list of roasters. No biggie. On a somewhat related note, I'm about to order a Fresh Roast. Trying to save a little money.
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul

gophish

#404: Post by gophish »

brianl wrote:Smaller sizes are great. What isn't great is the roaster increasing the price based on it being a smaller quantity as opposed to say a 12oz. I don't think it's deceptive, just kind of annoying.

MTN AIR roasting for example has very fair prices considering they are 250g packages (not to mention the free shipping).
Agreed, which is why I was not starting a discussion about "coffee being overpriced". I made the point of your quote that I was trying to get across bold. I order very regularly from Mtn Air and find Marshall's prices to be very reasonable, especially when ordering 4 or more bags or 5lbs.

Mike also makes a point along the lines of what I was saying. It's not more economical for me or the roaster for me to order 2 bags just to get a pound of coffee...
Compass Coffee wrote:Multiple high barrier valved bags cost more than one and it takes more time to bag the same weight of coffee. Simple economic cost of goods, you're paying for the convenience factor of multiple smaller packages.
Versalab

brianl

#405: Post by brianl »

Compass Coffee wrote:Multiple high barrier valved bags cost more than one and it takes more time to bag the same weight of coffee. Simple economic cost of goods, you're paying for the convenience factor of multiple smaller packages.
Which Is why I appreciate the different options that you have. However, you don't force the 4oz option down my throat and make me buy 3 of them to get my 12ozs. The latter is not a convenience factor.

At the end of the day, we can just choose to not order from the roaster...

Compass Coffee

#406: Post by Compass Coffee »

Apologies, me thinks I misunderstood. :oops: Agreed 12oz or full 1lb seems to be the defacto normal industry wide size options. 10oz is weird size to me too! Though I have seen a few offer 13oz size, which is the average roasted yield from 1lb greens. I and seemingly most roasters adjust greens batch size to come out for 12oz bags.
Mike McGinness

Bodka Coffee

#407: Post by Bodka Coffee »

The reason I have a 10 oz bag is because the guy that ordered my first labels (that would be me) was somewhat clueless on sizes. But seriously, 1 lb bags are far more popular judging by the orders I get.

Advertisement
Balthazar_B

#408: Post by Balthazar_B replying to Bodka Coffee »

You pretty much need about 1 lb to dial in a new coffee. And if it's a good coffee and you've done it right, you'll go through it and the next pound really fast. :P
- John

LMWDP # 577

LukeFlynn

#409: Post by LukeFlynn »

The new affordable norm around here:

Red Bird Espresso! I've had it before.. and it's so chocolately.. never gets old. It's very similar to Counter Culture's Big Trouble in my opinion (In roast, and flavor somewhat).

Jeff does great work.. just WOW.. great work.

The fun stuff:

18 grams in | 32 grams out | 27 second pull = harmony.

So far I think it stands up better in the cup compared to Mountain Air's Black Balsam. I think Mountain Air do great drip/pourover/etc.. but after a good 2 weeks I found their espresso offerings to be less forgiving than others, especially Red Bird, their Black Balsam was somewhat difficult to dial in.. but still a pleasant coffee.

drgary
Team HB

#410: Post by drgary »

I just tried some Red Bird again. It was an old favorite. I couldn't get either ashiness or astringency. Maybe I needed to age it longer than 9 days?

At two weeks most coffees will be going stale, so that's not a good test of Black Balsam (which I haven't tried).
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!